What is better: Bellafill or fat transfer?

I'm considering filler under my eyes and was wondering which one has less bruising and predictable results. It seems that Bellafill has a high rating. I've seem some complains about FT but these were from years ago. I'm assuming the FT has improved over the years.

Bellafill or fat transfer for under eyes?

My recommendation would be to not use Bellafill or fat transfer for under the eyes.  In my experience, the best results for under the eyes are achieved with one of the hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Restylane.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill or Fat Transfer for the Lower Eyelid

This is a great question because it is asked a lot by my patients but not very often here on RealSelf. I can tell you that I no longer do fat for under the eyes since Bellafill works so well with far less complications. Fat has an unpredictable "take" and therefore the results are often less than perfect, whereas Bellafill is 100% predictable. I use a cannula to inject so that the Bellafill can be "airbrushed" in to get very exacting results.

The one caution I would have for you is that Bellafill is permanent and occasionally can cause some firmness or scarring of the tissue in this area that goes away with time but seems to be more common when a needle is used for injection so be careful that you someone who only uses a cannula technique for injection and that that individual has lots of experience injecting under the eye with cannulas.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough fat graft or Bellafill

Bellafill is less likely to bruise and is more predictable and precise. There is also not much swelling after Bellafill while fat grafting usually results in 2 weeks of swelling. The other consideration is weight change does not affect Bellafill, unlike FT.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon