Can I do a back bend again someday?

I have lost 150 pounds, and I am getting a tummy tuck, small amount lipo on my flanks, a breast lift with and augmentation. I started backbend training a while ago, for my belly dance, and I have come very far. I know my doctor has to clear me before exercise. My question is, will I be able to do a back bend without hurting anything after the surgery. I don't mind waiting to go back to that kind of intense train for a couple years if I have to.

Can I do a backbend?

Eventually you will be able to do a backbend post tummy tuck. The first 3 weeks should consist of no exercise. After 3 weeks you may start increasing your exercise routine with the exception of the abdomen. You may want to wait several months before you start working your abdominal muscles. Check with your doctor regarding his protocol. 

Healing & Returning to Activity after a Mommy Makeover

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #Augmentation #Mastopexy procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing. But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 

Also, the two breasts commonly heal quite differently so #assymetry is not unusual. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Dr. Derby Sang

thank you for your question.

i would recommend to wait at least 6 months post-op to star training again, after that when you are totally recovered you could perfectly go back to your old training habits but with caution.

best of luck.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Activity restriction after mommy makeover

Wow congratulations on your weight lost and training achievements!  Based on your obvious dedication and hard work I would say absolutely. It will take a good deal of stretching and training for both your abdomen and chest to stretch but it will likely come back. You will need to follow your surgeons instructions for healing but likely 3-6 months before starting this type of exercise. Good luck!

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

Congratulations on your weight loss and upcoming surgery.  Yes, you will be able to do a back bend again, but it will not be for some time.  You will need to allow the abdomen to completely heal which will take 3-6 months, and from there you will have to slowly progress into stretching in that area.  It is important to keep in contact with your surgeon during your recovery and get his/her approval before attempting this exercise.

Camille Cash, MD

Tummy tuck and back bends

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck..

• Congratulations on your massive weight loss!
  • You certainly have come a long way.
  • Don't even try a back bend for 3 months after your surgery - and with your surgeon's approval.
  • But once you are fully healed and have no pain, you should be able to start working on them again.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Back Bends After TT

If you are doing full back bends now I am impressed. I can see you were dedicated to your weight loss and should be proud of your achievement. Eventually, you will be able to get back to the bending, but it may take six months or more. In the beginning, you will want to avoid twisting movements and exercises so there is no shear of the flap over the muscle. Speaking from personal experience it will take you 2-3 weeks to be standing straight all the time. Ask your surgeon when you can start taking little steps toward back bends I got there and I am sure you will, too. Good luck! 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Can I do a back bend again someday?

Congrats on your weight loss and on your upcoming procedure. As for physical activity, you should be able to eventually return to most, if not all, activities. It may take a full 6 months or more for you to get back to very strenuous activities, but it is possible. You should discuss activity in the post-op period in detail with your surgeon.

Back Bend Following Tummy Tuck

Ater about 3-6 months I would seek clearance from your physician. But in my opinion, you will be able to perform and train once you have given yourself proper time to heal. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Can I do a back bend again someday?

Congratulations on your very significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment! Yes, in the long term, you will be able to do a back bends and and resume all types of vigorous activities. As you mentioned, your plastic surgeon will guide you when it comes to returning to activity concerns. 

You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, interesting to you. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.