ARTAS hair transplant results: What should I expect?

There are so many different options for hair transplants, can you tell me more about ARTAS?

Hair Restoration Results following ARTAS procedure: Highly Dependent on the Physician and Technicians

The ARTAS robotic hair restoration surgery system is a breakthrough technology product that helps a surgeon perform a type of hair restoration surgery called Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).  With this method, no linear scar is created when harvesting the hair from the donor area as the ARTAS robotically extracts each follicle individually.  This allows for much shorter hairstyles than allowable following a linear strip procedure.  Further, there is less discomfort in the donor area following an ARTAS procedure as compared to a linear strip procedure.  The ARTAS system differs dramatically from all other types of FUE technology in that it's not a hand-held device.  It is a robotic system that under the guidance and control of a surgeon, performs a extraction of each individual follicle with micron precision, instead of by a human hand, with all the inherent variability associated with human motion and hand control.  This minimizes damage to the grafts during an FUE procedure, and maximizes the percentage of follicles that grow.

In terms of what to expect.....for all aspects of your experience and aesthetic results, this will depend entirely and 100% on the experience and dedication of your physician and his or her team of technicians.

There are hundreds of subtleties and nuances in the performance of this hours-long, surgical team-oriented, artistically-demanding procedure.  Clearly, common sense would tell you that a physician who has dedicated their practice and career to hair restoration will deliver much different results than a physician who recently acquired a device to start performing hair restoration procedures.  Interview more than one physician, and make sure you're comfortable with their background in the field before proceeding.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to Expect with Robotic Hair Transplant Surgery

When considering different options for hair transplantations, t is important to ask yourself how the method or technology will contribute to the quality of the final results.

Artas was developed as robotic technology used to facilitate the accuracy of the extraction phase during a hair transplant procedure.

It uses algorithms to identify ideal angles to position the punch tip. This is intended to help less experienced surgeons perform FUE hair transplant surgeries. However, it is not a necessity for experiencing the best results possible.

Artas’ concentric two punch system is essentially a dull punch followed by a precise sharp one. This method has been associated with higher rates of graft burial which lowers the donor resources available to the patient.

Additionally, the robotic system can only perform extractions on the back of the head. It is also restricted to patients with dark hair.

A quality hair transplant is marked by ample coverage and aesthetically pleasing aesthetics. Artas does not necessarily engender the most ideal coverage and growth.

And since it does not perform insertions, it will not contribute to the final aesthetics which a skilled doctor alone is accountable for. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

ARTAS is the gold standard FUE

The ARTAS robot is only a tool to extract hairs. It utilizes the follicular unit extraction (FUE) technique which allows for harvesting hairs without leaving a linear scar.  There are pros and cons of FUE hair transplantation that you need to discuss with your hair transplant surgeon.

As a FUE device, the ARTAS system is the gold standard.  It uses video-guided imaging to precisely dissect out individual hair follicles eliminating human error and fatigue that limit other FUE devices.  A recent study published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology (see link), documented a yield of 95.1% approaching the yields seen with the strip surgery technique.

Terrence Keaney, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

ARTAS hair transplant results:What should I expect?

1 year ago,The ARTAS robot is a wonderful piece of equipment, we are often times very found of employing it to perform groundbreaking results.In the properly selected patient it can produce outstanding results in record time. The truth of the matter is that results vary depending on the patient 's scalp characteristics that determine a patient's FOX status(Rassman). These characteristics include dermis thickness, scalp laxity, hair exit angle mismatch, and the  patient's inability to seat still. So what matters most is the Surgeon and team selected to perform your procedure. A well trained and experienced surgeon can perform all procedures,depending on what works best for that patient. If the ARTAS is not performing great for a particular patient then there are other procedures including hair held punches, blunt, sharp, and motorized punches. I agree with Dr. Rassman, it is hard to beat FUSS, performed with microscopic dissection for quality grafts that almost always deliver results. Consultation with expert hair restoration surgeons are advised to obtained the necessary informed consent necessary to make the best decision possible. Buying any machine, and being totally dependent on it is sometimes not the best way to perform  hair restoration surgery.
Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Artas hair restoration

I look at Artas as a great tool.  It is a very complex device designed only to harvest the ideal hair graft.  That is why I like to offer it to my patients. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

ARTAS is the best and most advanced option

If you concerned about the scar in the back, loosing existing hair because of transection - ARTAS is the best option - it can harvest hair in the fastest possible way, with no linear scars and ARTAS site making can preserve hair in the recipient site. But robot is just a tool. Who operates it is the key. You got to check out before and after pics to see real results and ask how many cases they performed. There is nothing like experience

What options?

Think of the ARTAS as using an electric wrench held by a robot to tighten a loose nut.
The Neograft is like using an electric wrench held by a human.
A human (doctor) can just as easily tighten the loose nut with a hand held socket wrench.
The results are same.  It is just more expensive to own a robot.  

Despite what you may think, hair transplant surgery is basically taking hair out and relocating to another area.
The skill and expertise required to carry out this task is what sets doctors apart.

There are two general methods in taking out (harvesting) the grafts: (1) FUE and (2) FUT - strip.
The ARTAS and Neograft are just tools that harvest the grafts using the FUE method.

The "options" you mention are pertaining to the TOOLS that doctors use to carry out surgery. The ARTAS system is just a tool that a doctor may use to harvest the hair grafts. The results from ARTAS should be the same as any other type of surgery in the same capable hands.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Different Options for Hair Transplantation

Today there are only two options for follicular transplantation. The FUE which produces small punctate scars with each extraction, and the Strip procedure which potentially produces a linear scar. I have personally had three strip procedure and no body can find my scar, so this suggest that some people who have strip procedure do not scar significantly. IF you took 100 patients who had FUE (ARTAS or manual in the hands of an expert) and compared it to 100 patients that had a strip procedure, there is no doubt in my mind that the patients with the strip procedure will have better results.

In an article I published in 2002 in a major medical journal, I reported about patients who were difficult to core the grafts with FUE. I labeled these patients as FOX negative (FOX -) while those who were easy to core were labeled FOX positive (FOX +).  As grafts are always plucked out of the donor area after the grafts are cored, those that were easy to puck we called FOX + while the others that were difficult to core we called FOX -.  If there were to be a perfect design for a mechanical punch system, it would have to produce a consistent quality extracted graft independent upon the FOX status of the patient. Although the technology is much better today with better tools like the ARTAS robot, these true FOX- patients are still a problem as the grafts do not come out as perfect when compared to either the FOX+ patients or the typical strip procedure which almost guarantees perfect grafts, in good hands, all of the time.

This is something you must talk with your doctor about. Ask him about FUE and FOX- and FOX+ status. He can test you for this if you request to find out where you are in the process. Some of the most difficult FOX - patients who undertake an FUE with any type of instrument, can fail, resorting to a strip procedure which produces great results, always.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE using ARTS

Basically, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a revival of the old punch technique obtaining donor hair with a small circular cutting instrument. There are different instruments used in the market to do FUE extraction siding punches, one is the ARTS.  ARTS instrument uses punches to harvest follicular units one at a time from the donor area.  It facilitates the extraction stage of the FUE, however it is associated with graft burial during this stage.  Due to its larger tip, there may be some collateral damage to the surrounding hairs as well, which will limit the number of hair available for extraction.  this larger tip also contributes to larger circular scaring in the donor area.  The extraction of the hair from the donor area has nothing to do with how the hair will look in the recipient area. The recipient area is another aspect of the hair transplantation which should be discussed and planed out in detail. 
On the other hand for the recipient area design and technique, a good specialized hair transplant doctor should know how to distribute the units, where to place the hair line, which needles to use, how to angle the needles, and the orientation of the incisions in the recipient area. These are just a few things to consider when making the incisions in the recipient area. So it is very important to chose an experienced doctor both for harvesting of the grafts and also for design and placement of grafts to the recipient area and discuss the options in detail to make sure it meets your concerns and expectations.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS

ARTAS is a computer controlled system that harvests FUE grafts for hair transplants, and can create recipient sites as well. By no means is ARTAS the only way to do an FUE procedure. I respect my colleagues who use it, but it is not in our hands (literally) the best technique, and we typically perform 6 to 8 FUE procedures weekly.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon