Do I really need to still be on antibiotics?

im 8th day post surgery closed rectus gap plus tt and 300cc i really need to still be on antibiotics? or is my surgeon bein extra cautious?

Practices will vary; generally speaking, unless there is a specific reason, antibiotic coverage for this duration is not necessary. Clarify with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Need for Antibiotics

With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins.  The program includes Arnica and Bromelain. 

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks.

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser. If your surgeon has concluded that your incision and scars are settling well but there is a slight infection then antibiotics are usually the answer. If you find yourself continually concerned about the incisions then it would be good to return with your additional questions to have the area examined.

Antibiotics and Sterile Elective Surgery

There has been paper after paper regarding the use of antibiotics in this setting, showing that a single intraoperative dose is as effective as seven or more days of post operative antibiotics.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has even made recommendations to their members to curb the use of unnecessary antibiotic prescription practices. If you still have a drain, then it is usually considered standard practice to keep patients on antibiotics until the drain is removed; and this is one of the many reasons I don't use drains with tummy tucks any longer!  If your drain is still in, tell your surgeon that at this point regardless of output to remove it, because your risk of seroma is the same at this point whether you keep it in or take it out. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing.  In my office patients are not given antibiotics after a tummy tuck surgery. Congratulations on your recent surgery.

Thank you for your question. It is important to continue your antibiotics are they were prescribed to you. If you have any questions concerning dosage, possible side effects you may be experiencing etc. contact your pharmacist or plastic surgeon. If you feel fine I would advise you continue the dosage until the prescription is completed. Always discuss with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall  

German Newall, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Antibiotics After Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question, and congratulations on your recent liposuction procedure. Every surgeon will have their own post-op protocol based on the exact procedure performed and the individual patient’s medical history. My recommendation is that you closely follow your operating surgeon’s instructions, as this will ensure the safest results. However, if you have further concerns, contact your plastic surgeon’s office for additional information.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD