Abnormal Swelling at 3 months. Does this amount of swelling look normal at 3+ months post-op? (photos)

I feel like my bridge looks flat and wide and part of my bump is still visable.

at 3 months post op this amount of upper bridge width is not swelling but real excess width to the nasal bones and will need correction - either they were not brought in after your bridge reduction ( causing what is called an open roof deformity ) or they were but with a lot of bleeding under the bones the pressure from the bleeding flexed the bones out again

Wide nose post-op

Although it is difficult to assess with a single photo, it is unlikely you will have significant narrowing over the next several months. If it is still bothersome at one year, you could speak with your surgeon, or seek another opinion, regarding the possibility of revision surgery. 

Eric T. Waterman, MD, FACS

Abnormal Swelling at 3 months. Does this amount of swelling look normal at 3+ months post-op?

Swelling at 3 months is normal and it takes upwards of 1 year to 18 months for you to truly appreciate your final results after rhinoplasty.  That being said, I don't know what your surgeon did specifically in your case so it's always best to address your questions directly to his/her office.  They can provide you with the best answer and if a minor revision is necessary, it is usually best to wait at least 6 months to allow more of the swelling to dissipate before jumping into more surgery.  Best of luck.

Michael Brucker, MD

Rhinoplasty Result

It appears like your nasal bones were not mobilized enough, giving a wide appearance and also a faint 'bump' like appearance that can be seen in the view you posted (oblique). Only a full examination would determine this. Please discuss with your doctor, as a revision might be necessary.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Abnormal Swelling at 3 months.

It is hard to give you much information without knowing exactly what was done.  Swelling at 3 months is not unusual, but it would be helpful to know if grafts were placed.  I suggest expressing your concerns with your surgeon.  He/she may be able to give you more specific information regarding your swelling.

Post Op swelling

It is quite difficult to say by just the pictures and without knowing what approach was performed, but post op swelling can be deceiving especially if your nose did require extensive bone work. you will get more definition with time but I would express my worries to your surgeon. 

Henri P. Gaboriau, MD, FACS

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Agreed with previous comments- Usually swelling following nasal surgery is most pronouced in the first 2 months and slowly goes down over a year's time... There are some topical agents that can help with swelling as well..

Swelling at 3 months after primary rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. I really cannot assess what is exactly going on from just this view. It would be also interesting to note is spreader grafts were placed. At the 3 month mark however only about 20% of swelling should be left but decreases at certain areas can make dramatic differences. I personally have had major changes in the nose (for the better) at the 8 month mark. Most of these patients have thick skin and dark features however. I would wait and relay your concerns to your surgeon. Should you require a revision then what is troubling you is not specifically difficult to correct. Good luck to you!!

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at 3 months postop

Was this a closed rhinoplasty where the dorsal hump was lowered?  Your photos are limited and my advice will reflect this.  Although I see the swelling that you are referring to, your nose will continue to change over the next several months.  Relay your concerns to your surgeon, as he or she will be able to provide you a reasonable timeline of events to expect certain results.