Am I a proper candidate for a breast lift with augmentation? (photos)

18 years old, 5'9, currently weighing 168 lbs. Gained 80 lbs within 2 years, lost 84 lbs in the last 6 months. My goal is to achieve voluminous, full, round, perky breasts via lift and augmentation. Aware will need an anchor lift, although nipple size has never been an issue. Would like to keep a larger breast size (DD). Still striving to lose 20 lbs, but over a large amount of time (6 months). Should this weight be lost prior to the procedure? Will I be able to get the results desired?

Candidate for Lift with Augmentation?

Yes, if you are planning on losing another 20 lbs then it would be best to achieve that additional weight loss prior to surgery. Everyone is different, but a weight change of that amount can result in a noticeable difference in breast size, so losing that much weight after having the surgery could negatively effect your results. 

You appear to still have a fair amount of breast tissue as well as a good degree of ptosis (sagging) so you would definitely be better off with an anchor type lift. If you also plan to add an implant I would recommend that the surgery be done in two stages. Yes, most patients would prefer to get it all done at once, but it is widely recognized that the combination of lift plus implant performed in a single stage has a very high revision rate. This is particularly true when more lift is needed or a larger implant is used. The operations work against one another, and when done simultaneously, both the lift and the augmentation can be compromised. Revisions then become quite complicated and expensive. In the long run you are better off having two separate predictable operations with low complication rates and a consistent, attractive, and durable long term outcome. 

Am I a candidate for breast lift surgery?

Congratulations on your weight loss so far!  Once you are at your goal weight you will be an excellent candidate for breast lift surgery with implants.  its important to be at your goal weight for surgery as any changes in your weight after surgery will likely affect the results.  Arrange a consultation with a fully qualified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Am I a proper candidate for a breast lift with augmentation?

Wow, you look great.  I guess it is the miracle of youth and great skin tone. 

At your current weight, you so DO NOT need implants.  A lift would improve the appearance of your breasts and make them look youthful to match the rest of you. 

I cannot say what another 20lbs of weight loss would do to your chest.  I recommend you hold off on any surgery until you have maintained a stable weight for 6 - 12 months. 

I think you look terrific at your current weight! 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Breast lift options #plasticsurgery

There are a variety of options for patients like yourself that have a lot of their own breast tissue. A breast reduction would eliminate the sagging breast tissue that you have and create a symmetric breast shape. An implant could be added to improve upper breast pole volume and shape.

Candidate for breast lift with an implant

Wow! Congrats on your amazing weight loss!! Just look at your already amazing before and after photos! Yes you are definitely a candidate for a breast lift with an implant. If you are planning on losing 20 additional pounds I would recommend getting at least half way to that goal prior to surgery and maintaining that weight. Depending on the quality of your skin, thinness, stretch marks, etc you may benefit from the use of a tissue product such as Alloderm or strattice to help maintain your lift. An alternative would be adding fat to your upper poles and cleavage again to help maintain the fullness and roundness you describe. Good Luck!

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Breast lift with implant

Hello and thank you for your question. One you achieve a stable weight, you will be a great candidate for a breast lift with an implant.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What a dramatic improvement in your photos from the weight loss.  Congratulations!

I would like to see you lose at least 10 of those expected 20 lbs before surgery but would remind you that your goal photo is a nice target, but with your history of weight shifts your skin will be somewhat inclined to relax and stretch once tightened.  A full mastopexy with a mid+ or high profile implant would be my suggestion.   You'll get a better recommendation from a face to face consultation with an ABPS Bd Certified Member of the ASAPS.  Enjoy the video link above and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Augmentation Mastopexy

You appear to be a good candidate for a standard augmentation lift, or with the addition of reduction too. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Anchor Lift?

Congratulations on losing the weight. I agree that if you can lose more and achieve a comfortable, stable weight, then go for it. Surgery should only be performed when you weight is in a stable range.

From your photos, you have plenty of volume and a lift is in your future. I am puzzled why you think you need an anchor scar. The Lejour Lift would do great.

1. The anchor component of the breasts scars always heal the worst and can be painful.
  2. The lift involved with the Lejour technique does a great job of creating a perky shape, especially in young, dense breast tissue.
  3. I think that a lift by itself may achieve your desired goal. Of course, you can have a lift and then decide to have the implants placed later.

If this interests you, please read my book, "Cosmetic Breast Surgery - A Complete Guide From A to Double D".

Robert M. Freund, MD

By all means get to your goal weight, assuming it is a realistic goal, prior to any surgery. But you already have more breast volume than your goal look so why would you want an implant. Also you need to be realistic about results. Patients mean vastly different things when they say they want "perky" so you need to be clear on what that means to you. If you mean a very high round breast, that does not happen in patients with the degree of skin damage you have  without using a bra to create the look. But it should be easy to get the full natural look you show in your goal photo. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD