Am I a better candidate for cheek implants or fat grafting to augment my cheeks? (Photo)

Cheek Augmentation - Implants vs. Fat

Both implants and fat injections can be used for cheek augmentation. It is not a question of whether one is better than the other, just that they are different with each having their own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Implants require a more invasive surgery and have the risks of any implanted material. (e.g., infection) But they produce a more reliable permanent volume with a variety of cheek implant shapes and sizes and create more distinct outward shapes because they provide a better push on the overlying soft tissues. Fat grafting is less 'invasive' with less recovery but its volume retention is unpredictable long-term and produce more of a softer push or roundness to the cheeks given that it has a much softer and more diffuse push on the tissues.

Cheek implants versus fat graftingHer as

In our practice we recommend cheek implants over fat grafting. Cheek implants offer a very precise augmentation of the cheek area, while fat grafting is quite variable and inconsistent.  Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and are inserted through an intra-oral approach under a very brief general anesthetic. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Cheek implants or fat grafting for small cheeks.

Cheek implants or fat grafting for small cheeks.  This is a frequent question. Cheek implants last for ever and are symmetrical and do not cause bumps. Therefore I've always preferred using cheek implants for making cheeks symmetrical and having it last forever,  tFat grafting can cause irregularities and it is difficult to control size and symmetry. 

Cheek Implants, Fat Grafting or Filler for Cheek Augmentation

This is a good question. A lot of young women have a similar question. Your photos actually show that you have good cheek bones laterally or the outside of you face where the apple of the cheek is, providing an excellent and very beautiful shape to your face. On the inside, however, you have less volume which is giving you the flattened look and tear troughs that I believe that you do not like.

The correction of this area can be done with:
  • 1.Implants. They involve a surgery and give more volume to the side than the middle.
  • 2.Fat grafting. Involves a surgery and the take of the filler is unpredictable.
  • 3.Long term filler. The filler Bellafill last at least 5 years. It can be placed exactly where you need it. There is no surgery and the down time is minimal.
My preference for your problem is to use Bellafill, especially at your age. The correction can be tailored to suit you much better, it is 100% predictable and looks more natural.  I have included a reference to a webpage on Bellafill for you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Am I a better candidate for cheek implants or fat grafting to augment my cheeks?

I would suggest cheek implants for your face.  You do have a flat cheek area which will benefit from a soft, subtle, fullness to feminize the face.  

Cheek implants or fat grafting to augment cheeks?

The cheek bones can be augmented with implants or fillers, including fat.  I would generally say that implants can potentially give more projection to the cheek bones than fillers.  Fillers can be better for adding volume to the part of the cheek below the cheek bone area though.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Implants or Fat Grafting to Augment Cheeks

Solid silicone implants will augment the cheeks for a lifetime. There are many sizes and shapes which can be contoured to meet the needs of each individual patient. Although I have used both techniques for many years I prefer the use of implants.