Sculptra for a Young Person with Facial Fat Loss?

I am a young person who suffers from facial fat loss due to trauma. Is it okay to get injected with Sculptra now or should I wait until I'm older? In the long run, would my cheeks look more hollow than they initially did after the Sculptra wears off? I intend to keep this up every 2 years for the rest of my life and that would be a deal breaker.

Doctor Answers 8

Sculptra is a good choice for a young person with facial fat loss

Your two concerns regarding the use of sculptra for a traumatic defect in a young person are good questions. Having performed thousands of these injections for 10 years while working outside the usa, I can tell you that I would not expect your cheeks to look "more hollow" after it "wore off". The manufacturer is not now allowed to say that it lasts for more than two years because of certain science given to the FDA. That does not mean that it wont last longer.  In my expereince many patients retained their result much longer than 2 years. I never have seen a patient look more hollow as a result of the treatment.

Youth is an important time for you to be functioning socially at your best. Looking as well as you can is an important part of that. If you were my patient, I would suggest that you go ahead with confidence.

Gainesville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

You're in luck...Sculptra probably is the ideal injectable product for you...

after the initial trauma heels and has sufficient time to cool down, there's no need to wait till you're older to benefit from injections of Sculptra...and interestingly since it stimulates production of your own collagen, it doesn't wear off in the manner of juvederm and resytlane...when the disappear, that's it...back to normal...but the Sculptra causes your body to manufacture collagen which has a long life...with continued aging, of course you'll need more Sculptra as your normal collagen continues to disappear...but that's the aging process...

Ken Landow, MD
Las Vegas Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

Sculptra is the Ideal Volumizer for Facial Fat Loss in the Cheeks

If you are suffering facial fat lost due to trauma then you need to volumize that area.  There are two ways of accomplishing this.  You can either put fat or Sculptra into that area.  The advantage of fat is that it is harvested from your own body.  The disadvantage of fat is that you have to go through a second procedure to remove the fat from your body to inject.  Sculptra is easier in the sense that you only need to have it injected into the area of your face that has lost the fat.  Sculptra will last at least two years.  You may need several injections spaced 6 weeks apart to get the desired effect.  Please find an experienced cosmetic dermatologist for your injections before choosing.

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews


Sculptra may be a good option for your volume loss.  Fat grafting may also be another great option as well.  I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Traumatic facial fat loss

this kind of fat loss may be better suited to fat grafting over time. sculptra is a relatively easy choice and can be done as oftne as needed. the numbers will add up. before you decide what to do, see a plastic surgeon for all your options including sculptra.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Sculptra excellent choice for facial volume loss

For large area of volume loss, Sculptra is an excellent choice. The results are gradual and very natural. Sculptra stimulates your own fibroblasts to generate new collagen which is ideal for creating volume in the face. I often use scultpra in areas of trauma or scarring to plump the tissue underneath.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist
4.4 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Consider Fat Injections

Hello in Michigan,

Dr. Francis is spot on in recommending that you have a formal consultation with a board certified Surgeon.

In addition to Sculptra you should discuss with them the option of using autologous fat injections to help with the areas of concern. In this procedure fat is taken from your body (usually the belly) and "purified" before injecting into areas of volume deficit or contour deformities (areas that were affected by the trauma and fat loss).

Important factors in your case would be location of the trauma and amount of scar tissue present - this is important since the injected fat needs to have good supply in order to provide the best results.

Take care and GO Red Wings!

Dr. Kamran Jafri

Kamran Jafri, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

You can use it now


See your board certified plastic surgeon for a full consultation regarding your options for revolumizing the traumatically lost fat. Sculptra may indeed be one of the options for you right now. There are many other ways for plastic surgeons to replace lost tissues, some of which, may be more permanent and appropriate for your injury. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD, FACS
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.