My board certified plastic surgeon said that he has done about 30 Sculptra clients, and they have all turned out very well. Is that an adequate number of patients for me to feel confident? He has done Restylane for me and the results were great.
How Many Sculptra Procedures Make for an Expert Injector?
Doctor Answers 2
See below as what defines an expert injector. In addition to the information below it is important to know your injectors experience with the specific filler as each have their unique nuances..
All ExpertInjectors™ are board-certified plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, dermatologists and oculoplastic surgeons who have demonstrated extreme due diligence in regards to patient safety, reliable results and consumer education. ExpertInjectors™ are properly qualified to perform injectable procedures and only administer products that are FDA-approved for aesthetic use.
In order to qualify to be an ExpertInjector™, a doctor must meet the following specific, stringent criteria. They are either a board certified:
- Plastic Surgeon: A physician who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) approved Board) and has completed a specialized residency in surgery, otolaryngology or orthopedics prior to an additional plastic surgery training residency.
- Facial Plastic Surgeon: A physician who is board certified in otolaryngology, and has completed one year of general surgery training and four to six years of training in ear, nose and throat procedures. Facial plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology may choose to be reviewed by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS), which is recognized as an ABMS equivalent in some states.
- Dermatologist: A physician board certified by the American Board of Dermatology or a doctor of osteopathic medicine certified by the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology. He/she has completed a specialized residency in dermatology after medical school.
- Oculoplastic Surgeon: A physician who is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He/she must also be fellowship-trained in oculoplastic surgery, specifically.
- They only administer/buy injectables that have been FDA-approved.
- They only buy injectables directly from their respective manufacturer.
- They keep accurate records of all injectables performed, for each patient.
- They require all injectable patients to sign informed consent papers prior to their procedures, ensuring they are aware of the associated benefits, longevity of results and what to expect during treatment.
- They have instituted appropriate protocols within their practices to manage potential adverse reactions associated with injectables.
- They have the expertise to manage the infrequent complications and problems that occur with injectables.
- They offer patients a variety of injectable options.
- They educate patients on the different injectable options available within their practices so they can make informed decisions before undergoing treatment.
- They have been properly trained on the correct way to administer injectables by the manufacturer of the respective injectables.
- Their staff adheres to the stringent injectable standards they have established within their practices, and they either personally perform or oversee all treatments administered.
- Any nurse or physician’s assistant injector within their office has gone through a credible injectable training program.
Look for this Seal for a qualified injector.
Once board certified, specialists can seek membership in a variety of key medical-based organizations and societies that uphold strict standards of safety, and aesthetic and medical excellence. Look for doctors who are members of at least one of the following:
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- American Society for Dermatological Surgery
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology
- American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
The ExpertInjector™ program is committed to patient safety, public awareness and the pursuit of reliable consumer education to help patients seeking aesthetic injectables find appropriate, well-credentialed providers in the core specialties of plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, dermatology and oculoplastic surgery.
ExpertInjectors™ do not possess abilities beyond other qualified aesthetic providers. They have, however, received appropriate training in their approved core residency (either plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery or dermatology), and through additional post-graduate medical education—making them well-qualified to perform injectables that require a keen understanding of the underlying anatomies and possible problems. Likewise, the nurse injectors who are part of the ExpertInjector™ program have all undergone appropriate injectable training workshops. When administering injectables, a board-certified core physician always oversees treatment provided by qualified nurse injectors.
Sculptra is unique in restricting sales to trained "core providers"
Sculptra is the only injected material that is sold only to physicians who have gone through their training program. This is limited to core esthetic physicians such as plastic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, dermatologists and occuloplastic surgeons. They do not train dentists and gynecologists.
This is designed to protect the consumer as well as the reputation of the product.
It is a "stimulatory" filler and as such takes additional explaination for the patient and care for the doctor.
I have been one of their trainers since the release of the original product for the treatment of HIV facial atrophy and continue to train for esthetic purposes as well.
It seems very likely that a physician who has gone through their training, done 30 patients with Sculptra and has pleased you with his other injections is very likely to be someone you can have confidence in.