Can Sculptra be used after only 5 minutes of being reconstituted?

I had a doctor use Sculptra on me after only 5 minutes of being reconstituted. I'm a little concerned about any side effects that may come up. I understand it needs to be a minimum of at least 2 hours. I've had experience with Sculptra in the past and have had great results. Thank you for reading. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

Reconstituting Sculptra

You will probably not notice the difference if it was injected deeply, but for even dispersion of the particles we generally allow at least two days before injecting.

Reconstitution of Sculptra

Sculptra is best reconstituted several days before injections.  The reconstitution is essential to minimize the side effect of nodule formation.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic injections for the best results.

Minimizing the risk of complications during Sculptra treatment

Proper reconstitution, injection technique - including depth of injection, and post-treatment massage are important aspects in minimizing the risk of complications such as nodule formation after treatment with Sculptra.  Reconstituting 24-48h prior to injection has shown to reduce the risk of nodule formation.  However, since you've already been treated, I would focus on the things that you can do to minimize the risk of complications moving forward - massage in a circular motion the treated areas for 5 minutes, 5 times/day, x 5 days.  With deep injections, it's unlikely you will encounter a visible issue.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sculptra

Yes. It can, however it is more likely to form nodules. Therefore, I would use it when injecting deeply and not superficially, no matter how diluted.

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra reconstitution

I like to reconstitute Sculptra at least 2 days before using it.  As was previously mentioned, some doctors mix it ahead of time and just add lidocaine before the injections are performed.  To alleviate your concern, you should ask your doctor what his technique is. Remember to massage your face several times a day for 1 to 2 weeks for best results.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Sculptra used 5 minutes after reconstitution

You are correct that the product instructions for Sculptra say that it should be reconstituted at least 2 hours in advance of being injected.  Many doctors prefer to reconstitute Sculptra even more in advance of it being used.  One question I would ask you is if the doctor who injected you told you it was only reconstituted 5 minutes beforehand, or was it something that you saw?  Many physicians will reconstitute the Sculptra first just with sterile water and then add a small amount of lidocaine just before it is used.  If it was just something that you saw being added, it may have just been the lidocaine.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Should Not Be Injected 5 Minutes After Constitution

Hi Eden,

Your concern is well founded.  I am a clinical instructor on Sculptra and it's use.  Sculptra should never be injected 5 minutes after constitution because the chances of nodule formation are much greater when it is not well hydrated.  It should be constituted at least 24 hours prior to use.  There is not anything for you to do at this time.  You should be massaging your face in the injected areas.  Should  you develop any lumps or bumps, you should consult with an expert in Sculptra.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra needs to be reconstituted one day prior to injection

Sculptra is injected in the form of a suspension. If it does not hydrate properly, it is more likely to cause nodules in the skin. I recommend it be reconstituted at least 24 hours prior to its use, and to be warmed prior to injection. In my practice, we typically have sculpa reconstituted for 2-7 days prior to injection. 

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

There are a variety of ways to hydrate Sculptra. I will typically let it sit for two days following the addition of sterile water. The biggest problem with short reconstitution times is plugging in the syringe as opposed to problems with the end result. I am curious whether this is the standard practice for your injector. If that is the case there might not be an issue. However, longer hydration and resuspension times seem to be most common.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon