I am considering Sculpta procedure. Is there any bruising, any down time I need to make this decision.

Sculptra and down time

Sculptra is a wonderful product for mid face volumizing and many people call it a "liquid facelift".  It is a liquid and generally does not cause much bruising.  To avoid any bruising please avoid aspirin, motrin, aleve, or vitamin E,  or blood thinners, or any products like fish oils.  For the best results please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic procedures.

Sculptra Bruising and Down Time

I advise my patients that anytime I am performing an injection there is possibility for bruising. I find that bruising is a rare occurrence with all of the injections I do. It is helpful to avoid anything that may thin your blood prior to your treatment. Swelling generally lasts for 1-3 days. I find that most patients are comfortable going to work the next day.

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra Recovery

Sculptra is a wonderful "filler" that stimulates collagen production in the area that it was placed.  I have obtained excellent natural results in the cheeks and smile lines.  Recovery is really patient dependent as well as injection technique.  I like to have my patients ice their face for at least 10-15 minutes prior to the injection.  I also place topical numbing cream to help with comfort.  I find that gentle injection and pressure over the areas during the procedure also greatly help with minimizing bruising.  I have had many patients who have minimal to no bruising the day after the procedure.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Bruising and Sculptra

In general, my patients don't bruise after Sculptra injections. However, if a patient gets a bruise, it is usually around the chin area, when correcting marionette lines. Ice is good to use before the injection which produces vascular constriction. Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and other meds that cause issues with coagulation should be avoided weeks before the injection.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect from Sculptra

Minimal bruising is always a potential with any dermal filler treatment. Out of all the fillers that are offered, Sculptra has the least amount of downtime and most patients are able to return to their daily activities almost immediately. 

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Downtime to expect after treatment with Sculptra

Sculptra can be performed very comfortably in the office.  After application of numbing cream, the injections can be performed in ~30 minutes.  Some bruising at the site of injection occurs in 5-10% of patients, and may last 5-7 days.  Make-up can be applied to conceal this bruising if it does occur.  Most patients do notice some temporary swelling, anywhere from 1-3 days. 

Avoiding foods, medications and supplements that thin the blood can reduce the risk of bruising (alcohol, ginger, aspirin, to name a few).  Also icing the area immediately after treatment and using Arnica can help to minimize bruising.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Side effects of Sculptra

Hello, and great to see you are doing your research prior to having treatment with Sculptra. In general, the side effects of Sculptra can include:

1) Lumps, or "nodules"
2) Redness or swelling at the injection site
3) Bruising
4) Itching

There is little down time. You can get back into your routine the same day, just avoid putting any pressure on the area where the injections took place. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra

There is always a risk of bruising and swelling post injections to the face.  There are never any guarantees.  Icing the areas immediately post injections can help with the bruising and decreasing of the swelling in the the skin.  

Dr. Grant Stevens               Marina Plastic Surgery Associates             Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Sculptra Treatments in NYC

Sculptra treatments are a nice alternative to other dermal fillers.  Sculptra works by stimulating your own tissue to volumize naturally and actually grow tissue rather than rely on the injected material.  This give a very natural generalized filling effect which is great for cheeks, temporal region, jawline and other parts of the face and body.  After the treatment you can expect mild swelling and and very slight chance os bruising (less then 5% chance just as other fillers).  Since the onset of action is over several weeks, patients enjoy the natural look and feel rather than feeling or looking "injected."  However, you should review your particular situation with your surgeon to make sure you are a good candidate.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Usually no downtime with Sculptra, but everyone is different

Hello! We use Sculptra as a volumizer on the face almost daily in our practice. It is a great choice for a natural, long term enhancement after a series of injections are completed. As with any injections on the face, there is a risk of bruising and swelling.  I find this risk not to be increased with this particular product versus others and most do not have bruising.  This product comes as a powder and saline water and anesthetic is added-- this leads to a very full look to the areas treated after--which goes down within 24 hours as the water fades, leaving the product in place.  It is necessary to massage during the first 5 days after the procedure.  So overall, no downtime most of the time! 

Rachel Pritzker, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon