Is it Okay to Scrub Your Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I had open rhinplasty one month ago, I had scrubbed my nose, Is it harmful or affect healing , I am very scared .............., and also be informed that I had swelling and puffuynose before the scrubbing

Do not apply hard pressure to nose after Rhinoplasty

You do not want to apply any hard pressure to the nose after rhinoplasty. You are still in the healing phase and the nose is sensitive. If you have blackheads or problems from the tape or splint on your nose use a light exfoliation and apply a good alpha hydroxy acid solution on top of the nose. I have an in house aesthetician who helps my patients with good post operative skin care regimens. Check with your surgeons office they may offer the same. Best regards,

Scrubbing the nose after rhinoplasty

You will still be swollen from the surgery after one month.. When cleaning the nose while it is healing, it is not advised to apply a great amount of pressure. This may increase swelling that is already present. Whether or not osteotomies were performed during surgery may influence the guidelines to follow during the healing period.  I would recommend speaking with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed.  Thank you and I hope this helps.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Scrubbing Nose after Rhinoplasty

All skin care should be gentile for about 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty. We have an aesthetician in our office to help patients with their individual needs after all facial surgery.

Nose scrub

Each situation is unique and only your rhinoplasty surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  Of course it all depends on how gently or how firmly you plan to scrub.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Concerns about scrubbing nose 1 month after a rhinoplasty

Your question should be asked of your surgeon, not physicians who don't know your history. The consequence of your actions would depend on exactly what was done for your rhinoplasty as well as what you mean by scrubbing - and where. Lightly washing should be of little consequence; aggressive actions with firm pressure can be more problematic.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Is it OK to scrub nose after a rhinoplasty?

I would not do this without first clearing this with your surgeon. It depends on which maneuvers your surgeon performed to achieve your results, and any undo pressure may change the post-op results permanently at this stage. I would encourage you to call your surgeons office and discuss this with him and see if he can provide you with some detailed instructions.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

At 1 month post op from a Rhinoplasty you should be asking your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for his/her post-op orders on what should and should not be done to your nose...including scrubbing.

Nose scrub after surgery

It all depends on your specific concerns and the procedure performed on your nose i.e.whether the bones were broken and reset,the speed of recovery,the skin type etc.Only your surgeon can tell you because he can see and judge the situation best.Everybody else would be guessing

Raja Srour, MD