Does this look like symmastia can be forming? (Photos)

Hello! I am just about 2 weeks post op breast augmentation I will be two week PO in exactly 2 days. . I have Naturelle silicone 700ccs and I am 5"7 165 pounds.Before I had a child I did have a smaller frame so I hope I didn't choose too large of an implant . I have had very mild pain just pressure and tightness. The only concern is the skin on my sternum feels raised when I am standing up ! Is this normal because of stretching ? Before I was a 34 B. Victoria secrets just measured me 40 DDD.

Synmastia?

You have very large implants for your size, but your photos do not show evidence of synmastia. It is common to have some swelling over the sternum when large implants are placed. This should resolve over the next few weeks. Continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Does this look like symmastia can be forming?

Thank you for your question. . Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia not visible

At this point you are early on in your recovery so swelling is an issue. However, I don’t see evidence of symmastia, even though your implants are quite large.

Position of Implants at 2 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION:

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

Given the fact that it is only two weeks into your healing process there is more time to be allowed for complete settling of your implants. There is always a potential for asymmetry when it comes to the implant, but allowing some time for full settling can help. However, if you are concerned or worried at all you should visit your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Doesn't look like it

Synmastia is a condition where there is no skin fixed to the chest wall between your breasts.  There clearly is a fixed area in the photos you have posted.  You have very large breast implants, and as a result, a lot of cleavage, but two clearly distinct breasts.  Would not worry about synmastia.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

No symmastia

No symmastia.  Just some swelling especially since your implants are very large for your frame.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Symmastia

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures no symmastia at this moment. Please follow instructions from your PS

No symmastia

Based upon the photos posted, I do not see evidence of symmastia. Yes swelling, but there is a clear separation between the two sides.

Thank you for your question.  I do not see evidence of symmastia.  You have very large implants placed on a petite frame and chest and my suspicion is that what your seeing is swelling.  As the implants dropped into position I would expect this to improve..  However it is best that you see your plastic surgeon for an examination.

Swelling

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, I think you are just swollen and should have a nice outcome.  Please see your surgeon for a check-up.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD