How long before I can go back to work before labiaplasty?

I'm was told I could go back to work (desk job) after 3-4 days but I plan to take off at least 5 days maybe7 if needed. I have a second job as a bartender/waitress that I work 3 days a week. I was told I could go back to that within a week but I just wanted to get more opinions. It's very demanding...a lot of running around and I usually wear jeans or some kind of tight pants. I also have to life heavy trays and cases of beer to stock the bar. Thank you!

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Instructions

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend following the recommendations of your surgeon.  If you have have any questions regarding them, then I would speak to your surgeon.  Best of luck.   

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic and Reconstructive Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Activity After Labiaplasty

I am very concerned about the amount of walking, running, etc. you’ve described that you would be doing after your labiaplasty. Those with less active jobs could easily return to work in 3 or 4 days. Any discomfort is usually minimal at that point. But it is the walking itself, not even the heavy lifting etc. that could represent a significant problem for you. The friction created by leg movements can be very uncomfortable during the healing process, and could even result in improper healing. I would highly recommend you re-discuss this with your doctor – perhaps there was a misunderstanding about the actual/specific physical demands of your job. A full week of limiting the amount of walking about would seem a much better course. This is the advice we give our patients having this procedure. 

Lyle M. Back, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Many of my patients have returned to work on the 3rd day

every women is different, but i have had a number of patients return to work with no problems on the 3rd day. the key is to use a lot of ice for the first 2 days after surgery and really take it easy. 

lifting heavy trays is not likely to be a problem. of course, if your jeans are very tight, the rubbing may bother you. If you can after work, allow some time to ice it for a while esp if swollen.

david berman md 

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Back to work

Generally your days back to work that you mention are correct. However, every person is different so your situation may vary from these numbers but they're a good guideline.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Your only challenge is dealing with swelling after labiaplasty

Swelling is greatest in the first week after labiaplasty. The longer you stand, the more you swell. Keep pressure off the area and get off your feet as much as possible. Sorry, but no tight jeans or crotch-hugging clothing for six weeks. Standing all day is a recipe for discomfort. Everyone swells to different degrees, but as it resolves you will be more comfortable and able to stand longer.

When may I return to strenuous work activities after labiaplasty?

The answer to your questions should come from your surgeon, who did your work & knows far better than us just what your recovery should entail & when you can return to demanding walking & squatting activities. Personally, I "allow" my patients to return to bartending/server activities in 7-10 days (linear/trim) and 10-14 days (V-wedge), pending the findings at their 1-week post-op exam... The weblink below may be of assistence...

Michael P' Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

When to return to work

Hi there,
Sitting at a desk job is not a problem as you won't be putting any strain on your surgical site. Concerning would be returning to your job as a bartender/waitress right away. You want to give yourself a chance to heal and not be lifting or squatting or running around with a lot of walking which will cause undo tension on your stitches, can cause swelling and pain. You also do not want to be wearing tight jeans or yoga pants or thong underwear where the fabric will be rubbing across your stitches constantly. The better you take care of the surgical site now, the better your outcome will be. Hope this helps.
Dr. Jennifer Hayes, DO, FACOOG
Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Although each physician will have their own recommendations based on the exact procedures you have performed, as well as the surgical technique employed, you should be able to return to work within a week of surgery.  Be aware that you will be more easily fatigued, and may experience some swelling of the tissues.  I would advise avoiding any squatting activities, as well as heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling for several weeks in order to avoid undue tension on your repair. Hope this helps.