I have abdominal soreness after having SculpSure today. Can I use ice on area?

Soreness after Sculpsure

It is not unusual to have some mild soreness after your Sculpsure treatment.  This should resolve within a few days.  Ice can help alleviate some of the soreness.  As others have stated apply ice indirectly for 15-20 minutes then remove.  This can be repeated every hour.  NSAIDs may also be helpful if you are not allergic or sensitive.  Check with your doctor if the soreness continues. 

Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

No pain no gain... Sculpsure

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Tenderness is a desirable condition after the treatment. something like the pain after a work out. This is a reflection of the effectiveness of the treatment. Cold might decrease the inflammatory reaction, decreasing the destruction of the fat. May consider non anti-inflammatories medications such as tylenol and massaging. 

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Soreness after SculpSure

There is usually some mild soreness or tenderness after a SculpSure treatment.  Massaging the area for 5 minutes twice/day will help.  I would recommend heat over ice, we want an inflammatory response to help eliminate the targeted fat cells, so ice would decrease the inflammation, heat would increase it.  Use a heating pad or hot packs intermittently and do not apply to any numb areas of skin to prevent a burn.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tenderness After SculpSure is Normal

Tenderness after undergoing a SculpSure treatment is normal. You may use ice to help with the discomfort, but make sure to protect your skin from the ice/icepack. 

Patricia DePoli, MD, FACS
Skokie Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure, Coolsculpting, Vanquish

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.
The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.
The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.
The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.
It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.
If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of her patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.
I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Some tenderness or soreness after sculpsure is normal

This is a normal reaction to Sculpsure. You can ice the area, but to protect the skin, you should wrap the ice in a soft fabric (like a T-Shirt) and ice on and off in twenty minute intervals. You may also find ibuprofen to be helpful. If the soreness persists or becomes very painful (versus feeling like tenderness), please call your treating physician.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure soreness

Thank you for your question. It’s normal to have soreness for a few days after the SculpSure procedure. You can use ice if it helps alleviate it, but you just have to let it subside after a few days.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Ibuprofen and ice after SculpSure

Topical ice over a thin towel will help reduce soreness after SculpSure.

I also recommend a small dose of ibuprofen twice daily, 200 mg.

Dr Karamanoukian

Ice wrapped in towel.

Yes, you can. The soreness is usually due to collagen contraction - hence many patients, like Dr Sorokin says feels like a really good ab. work out. This is only temporary, and will take a 1-3 days to settle. 

I have had SculpSure myself to feel what it is like, and understand the discomfort you are experiencing. Ice for the first 24 hours 20 min on, 20 off can help.

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Fiori Institute of Body Contouring
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Ice will help with discomfort

Ice is certainly fine to use but don't put it directly on the skin, keep a thin layer of fabric in between the skin and the ice and use the ice for 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.  Drinking lots of fluid helps too.  I find that most SculpSure patients in my practice describe the soreness after SculpSure like an intense abdominal workout.  You should check with your surgeon if the pain is getting worse and not quickly resolving.