25 y/o getting labiaplasty surgery. Any tips for pre or post-op?

I am scheduled to get labiaplasty surgery on the 27th and I am terrified from everything I read/saw on the internet. Any tips for pre or post op will be appreciated. I would like recovery to go as smoothly as possible...I'm really nervous about the swelling and pain. Thanks in advance!

Labiasplasty Surgery

Thank you for your question.  Do not be anxious when performed well by a certified and experience plastic surgeon, labiaplasty has many benefits.  During Labia reduction surgery, the excess tissue is removed to keep the size, shape and colour symmetrical and looking natural with scars hidden within the natural folds of skin, resulting in a defined and neatly shaped labia. For most patients, the surgery takes approximately 60 to 90 mins. The scars are virtually invisible and reduction in the size of the labia not only gives comfort in clothing and during sex but it can also improve the cosmetic appearance of the labia.

Absorbable sutures are used which will dissolve between 1 to 3 weeks.

The labia will be swollen and bruised for a week and there may be some discomfort during this time for which you may need to take analgesia for.

Arrange to see your cosmetic surgeon a week after surgery to assess the word and check on healing.  Follow your surgeons healing protocol, have a few days - a week to relax and recovery.  

All The Best 

Labiaplasty......

Labiaplasty is a Great Procedure when performed by an experienced Plastic Surgeon.   There are different techniques that can be used.  Each one has different benefits and risks. There is not one "correct" way.   It all depends on what will provide the results you are hoping for.   

As far as pain.... there are long lasting pain relief injections that can be performed during surgery that can last a couple of days.   Talk with your surgeon.   Good Luck

Any tips for pre or post-op labia minora reduction?

Although some anxiety is quite normal, assuming you have chosen your surgeon carefully, it is likely that you will do well.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes a specific advice but my best advice to patients postoperatively: lots of rest with minimal movement. Ice on the area (over dressings) is helpful.  Make sure that you have good help around you for the first few days after surgery.  I have found that patients who really take it easy for the first few days do well when it comes to swelling/pain.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Labiaplasty surgery

A labiaplasty must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Any tips for pre or post-op labiaplasty surgery?

Dear Ski385,

Thank you for writing in with your question.  As my colleagues have mentioned in their responses, you should be getting the answers to all of your questions from the surgeon operating on you.  The most important thing has been emphasized and that is to make sure your surgeon has ALOT of experience doing labia reductions. 

There are two main types of labiaplasty procedures---those that trim the edges (the traditional edge-reducing technique) and those that preserve the edges by removing a piece of tissue from the middle (the various wedge techniques).  The wedges have a slightly higher complication rate of edge separation or hole formation due to the re-formation of the blood supply.  The surgeon you choose should have experience with more than one technique.  Be sure to see lots of before and after pictures.  If s/he only has a few, then reconsider going to this surgeon. 

You want to know how many labiaplasties s/he has performed (hundreds or more is the answer you are looking for).  Also, many times when a labiaplasty is needed, there is often extra skin around the clitoral hood.  Did you have a conversation about that area as well?  If only the labia is reduced and you have extra skin at the hood, it can leave you with a top-heavy appearance that you may not be happy with.

Ask about their complications and how they address them when they occur.  It's important that if you have results you are not pleased with that s/he can help improve the situation or know who to refer to.

You can find more information on labiaplasty at the link below.

I hope this information is helpful, and I encourage you to put off your surgery until you have done more research and are more comfortable with your decision.  This is elective surgery, so there is no need to rush into it especially if you are not feeling confident in your surgeon.

Sincerely.

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Pre- and post-op preparation and recovery information should be carefully & fully given to you by your surgeon!

The best tip I can give you is to MAKE SURE that your surgeon SPECIALIZES in labiaplasty surgery, and is NOT your "general gynecologist, especially if (s)he is doing your surgery in the hospital  "...under insurance..." as this is where the majority of "botches" come from! If your surgeon has not already fully and carefully explained pre-op preparation, the operation in detail, and your recovery responsibilities in detail, then CANCEL the surgery and look for an experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon (plastic or cosmetic Gyn) to do your work!! 

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

The most important tip before your labiaplasty is to make sure your surgeon is an expert

An expert in labiaplasty will be able to give you the best advice on prepping and recovering from your surgery and would increase the chances of everything going smoothly. Keep pressure off the area until it heals.

Thanks for your question.

The best way to calm yourself is to feel that all your questions have been answered and you have a clear understanding of what you can expect before and after your surgery.

I advise you to discuss all of your questions and concerns with your surgeon, and make sure that your surgeon is an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist. 

Best of luck to you.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

25 y/o getting labiaplasty. Tips for pre or post op?

Thank you for sharing your question and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.  If you have done your research, and found a surgeon well skilled in labiaplasty surgery all should go well and you should find that your results will match the expectations discuss during your consultation.  Prior to surgery it is important to stop any smoking, maintain a healthy diet, and fill your necessary prescriptions.  After surgery you want to maintain your pelvis elevated with a few pillows under your hips while using cold compresses to reduce your tissue swelling.  You may need ointment to apply to your incisions and a water bottle for hygiene purposes.  Your surgeon should be able to supply further information.  Hope this helps.