Nose deviates to left and skin around nostril looks bigger whereas actual nostril on right more narrow. Nose seems wider.(photo)

I was referred to an ENT for sinus issues/headaches. My ENT clearly could see a deviated septum. Sent me for CT Scan and there was no sign of disease or but I do have a tiny bone spur that sticks out into nasal passage on right side (which makes sense as most pressure's on that side. Doc said surgery to shave bone down. I asked if he could straighten nose while in there and he stated it may make sinuses worse. Never got the surgery but 4 yrs later nose is getting more crooked. Suggestions? Thoughts?

Dear cmj15, A septorhinoplasty is a combined procedure that would address both the function and aesthetics of the nose.  The "septo" portion would address the deviated septum and the "rhinoplasty" portion would address the aesthetic concerns that you have. I would suggest seeking consultation with some experts in the field and discuss your options. To see some examples of septorhinoplasty see the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Nose is crooked, what can be done?

Hi CJM,Thanks for your question and photos. It certainly is a problem that could be corrected with surgery. I would recommend getting several consultations with surgeons that perform septoplasties with rhinoplasties or septorhinoplasties. This would help fix your breathing issues and help straighten the nose. I not sure how fixing your nose would make your breathing worse at it could easily make breathing better by putting in cartilage to open up your breathing passages or airways. Hope this helps. Good Luck! 

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#Rhinoplasty #septoplasty

Rhinoplasty to straighten the nose, septoplasty to remove the bone spur

The bone spur that is present on the septum can clearly cause facial headaches, facial pain and pressure symptoms, in addition to blocking airflow. A septoplasty will straighten  the deviated nasal septum including removal of the bone spur. A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening the crooked nose, which is  considered cosmetic. Straightening the nasal bones will not make sinuses worse. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the field of cosmetic surgery, and especially for the crooked nose, so it is best to choose a surgeon with extensive experience. Look for a double board certified ENT/ facial plastic surgeon. Digital computer imaging would also be helpful to understand what can and cannot be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure. Both a septoplasty and the rhinoplasty can be performed at same time under one anesthesia with one recovery period. For more information  and many rhinoplasty before and after results, please see the video and the link below

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nasal obstruction and deviation of the nose and septum.

These can be corrected with a septorhinoplasty without compromising your airway or sinuses. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Nasal Deviation

It is not clear exactly what you need but the nose can be straightened without compromising your airway or making your sinuses worse if the surgery is done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. With these pictures It is obvious that you do have airway obstruction.