Which muscle should be avoided when getting Botox if I constantly get droopy eyelids?

Your injector should avoid the elevator muscles of the upper eyelid. More importantly, however, you need to choose your injector carefully. You should check reviews and references. You should find a practice that is a highly ranked injectable practice as reflected in the reports from Allergen Medical, the makers of Botox. Some physicians have been recognized for their expertise and experience using products such as Botox, Juvederm, and Juvederm Voluma. You can also check out who is in the top 50 and/or Top 25 rated Allergen accounts. In Phoenix, Arizona, there is only one practice that fits that bill.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Why do eyebrows droop following Botox injections into the forhead

Botox weakens muscles. If Botox is inappropriately injected into the muscles which raise the eyebrows, then those muscles will be weakened and brows will droop. An experienced injector can avoid the areas which will be problematic. 

Droopy brow and droopy eyelids with botox

Botox injections that are placed too close to the upper eyelids can possibly cause the eyelid to be droopy. This will usually resolve within a few weeks. There are prescription eye drops that can help reduce the appearance of the droopy lid.

As for the brow. Injections placed along the central and lateral brow will undoubtedly cause some lowering of the brow because of the botox induced paralysis of the brow. Most patients accept this because they enjoy the smoother appearance. If the brow droop is a major concern, botox may not be your options, you should consider a brow lift.

Best of luck.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Board Certified Plastic Surgeon)

Botox and Droopy Eyelids

If you get droopy eyelids, it is possible that the Botox is being injected too low or that there is too much redundant skin on the eyelids.  Please feel free to post a photo. Thermage can help with the brow and produce skin tightening in this area.  Best, Dr. Green

Drooping Eyelids After Botox

It is likely you need to avoid any forhead botox and use fillers to this area in combination with ultherapy or thermage. ThermiRF can help as well.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Eye Brightening

This is a very common concern. Botox works by relaxing the muscles in which it is injected. To get maximal brow elevation and eye brightening, the muscles along the forehead and near the corners of the eyes that help to lift the brow and open the eyes should be treated carefully. I recommend you find a specialist with a thorough understanding of the facial anatomy to obtain a great result.

Lucia S. Olarte, MD

Unless you have unusually deep forehead lines and strong muscles, most experienced injectors can avoid brow drop in the vast majority of patients.  Avoiding the muscle close to the outer brow region is essential with the understanding that it's easier to add a little more (no charge) after two weeks if needed than it is to reverse too much injection.  If you've had this problem with the same injector multiple times, I'd suggest trying a different doctor.  

Jon A. Perlman MD, FACS
Certified American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC TV Extreme Makeover plastic surgeon
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question. If Botox is injected too close to the eyebrow or if too much is injected into the forehead without an eyebrow lift, a patient can potentially experience droopy eyelids. There are a variety of muscles involved. I would recommend seeing an expert injector and board certified plastic surgeon for your injections. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi, I have used Botox or one of the other neurotoxins (Xeomin, Dysport) for over 30 years.  If you don't have the Botox injected within 1 finger width of the top of the eyebrows, this will leave enough Frontalis muscle strength to avoid a droopy eyebrow and eyelid.

Hope this helps.

Droopy Eyelids.

Botox doesn't cause droopy eyelids but it can UNMASK droopy eyelids/forehead that already exists. The horizontal lines in the forehead, in many cases, are contractions of the frontalis muscle, which raises the low brow.  But when botox is injected, we lose the compensatory ability to raise the brow and or to mask the droopy forehead. THerefore , at somepoint, the patient my consider a brow lift surgery if he/she finds that they continue to experience low, droopy eyelids or brows as a result of botox.