Lost 200 lbs, extreme gynecomastia remains. What type of procedure do I go with? WHO do I go to? (photos)

My loose skin accompanied with what believe to be gynecomastia. After my weight balancing out (I'm trying to get back down to a healthy 200) I have severely large and deformed breasts. I have seen far too many different types of procedures for this and I'm not sure which type of procedure to choose? Most of the surgeons I have researched work on women, or men with problems that aren't as severe as mine. I don't want to go to a surgeon who hasn't had a case like mine and have something go wrong.
To find doctors in your local area, please click here.

Which Procedure to Treat Gynecomastia and Seeking a Surgeon

Among the different types of #gynecomastia there are two in which you may be experiencing. Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery. Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia. To better distinguish the category your condition may be within, it's necessary to consult in-person with a plastic surgeon.

Also, there are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

In addition to selecting a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified, it important she or he have a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

HORIZONTAL MASTECTOMY WITH FREE NIPPLE GRAFT TECHNIQUE

Hello. You are correct in selecting your surgeon well. Your case requires a technique that is called the Free nipple graft technique. During surgery, we remove ALL excess breast fat and gland AND skin. The resulting scars are two horizontal ones on the NEW breast creases. They can extend far back into your posterior torso if necessary in order NOT to leave behind "dog ears" that are common when non experienced surgeons operate to treat this condition.  The nipples and areolas are REDUCED to a smaller diameter and re-attached during the same surgery. Once procedure takes care of this condition and would be a 6 to 8 hour surgery. Recovery is about three weeks off work. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia After Massive Weight Loss

This is a very good question, and it is handled differently than typical gynecomastia. It is usually done in 2 or more procedures to get a good outcome. This is very individualized and I recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD