When can I have implants after reduction and lift?

I had breast reduction/lift 6 days ago. I am so devastated and unhappy with the results . My goal was ONLY to have symmetrical breasts -one was a DD the other a D the emphasis was on lift. The day after surgery when I removed the dressings I was shocked that I was reduced down-even with swelling to a small B. I am so upset I am now so out of proportion and was meant to make me feel better about my image has devastated me.

What was communicated to you during your consultation for reduction?

If you wanted insurance to cover this, your surgeon had to remove a certain weight to qualify for coverage and most surgeons tell their patients how much that is.  Most reductions end up being C cups or larger.  If you paid for a cosmetic lift and you're more than a cup smaller, you have legitimate concerns that you should be able to discuss with your surgeon (Why was tissue removed on both sides when all you wanted was symmetry?) and find out what his thoughts were when you had your procedure.  There could be a reasonable reason but I cannot think of any.  At this point, focus on healing and realize that you can be larger with implants or subtly fuller with fat grafting (avoids the problems of implants) but this is discussed when you are healed.

I am sorry to hear you are so unhappy with your results. It is best to wait at least 6 months to allow your tissues to heal before attempting another procedure in the same area. Failure to do so will increase your risk for poor healing (infection, dehiscence, skin necrosis, etc) on your second procedure. Please allow your body to heal itself and in the meantime keep in close communication with your surgeon. 

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implants after Reduction

You can probably have augmentation in 3 to 4 months after incisions are fully healed and swelling has subsided. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am sorry you are so unhappy with your result. Wait at least 3 to 6 months before considering surgery again. You want to be completely healed. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.Best of luck.

That's very unusual. It's very unusual to see a patient not happy with a breast reduction. Did you have a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in that type of surgery? Without photos of you pre and post op it is not possible to comment on the surgery you just had, but if you decide to have breast implants I would suggest waiting at least 3 months for the current surgery to have time to be well healed. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implants after reduction

I am sorry to hear about how this surgery has made you feel. At this point, you want the breast to heal. Right now there is probably still swelling and inflammation that needs to settle down. You want your breasts to be as close to their final result, which is at the end of the healing process, before you go on to the next surgery. That being said, plastic surgeons will vary on how long they will wait to perform another operation on the same area. most plastic surgeons will prob recommend waiting about 6 months. At 6 months a significant amount of healing has occurred but not yet complete. You should express your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Please make sure you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Can have implants

I am sorry to hear that this reduction surgery did not meet your expectations. You can go larger with implants but I would wait at least 4 to 6 months for the blood supply to not to be of issue with the placement of breast implants. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Not what you expected.

Hello,  I'm sorry to hear that.  You should wait at least 6 months to have another breast surgery with implants. Always consult with a certified plastic surgeon in your area for a correct treatment. Have a great day. 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results. I would recommend that you wait at least 4-6 months before considering having implants placed. I would also recommend discussing your concerns with your PS. Best of luck

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast reduction surgery.  Yes, breast augmentation surgery is certainly possible down the line. Best to wait 3 to 6 months for all incision lines to have healed;  this waiting time will also allow you more time to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed.  During this time, you can also carefully consider your goals and communicate these goals with your plastic surgeon. In my practice, this is best done with the help of computer imaging and goal photographs.  Best wishes.