When can I get implants after a reduction/lift?

I had surgery four days ago and was horrified with the results. I was a DD and NOT dissatisfies with the shape or size but after radiation a year ago it left one of my breast a cup size different and I wanted them symmetrical and lifted. I awoke to breasts that are swollen and a small B. I have been crying for four days.How soon can I get implants to correct this?

Silver Lining

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your current size, but there is an upside with implants. You will likely get a more optimized shape of your breasts with implants than you would have with larger natural breasts. I hope this is offers some consolation for you. Best of luck!

With radiation on one side

was it medically necessary to have it reduced as well?  There is a lot of discussion that should have taken place prior to your procedure and you should discuss this with your surgeon as to what was missed.  Implants are not recommended with radiated tissue so your best option for increasing your volume would be fat grafting, assuming you have some to spare somewhere.  But let your surgeon explain why he did what he did as there could be a legitimate reason.

Curtis Wong, MD

When can I get implants

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry you are unhappy with your current breast appearance. My advice is be patient. You just had surgery. Allow time for complete healing of your breasts.  You should give it 3-6 months before proceeding with implants. This is specially important for the radiated side. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Implants after

you can definitely get implants but i recommend you to wait at least 4 months before you take any decision.

best of luck :)

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Especially since you have had radiation to 1 breast in addition to a reduction I would wait at least 6 months before considering reconstruction with implants.  Be aware that the radiated breast has an increased chance of capsular contracture or firmness after breast implantation.  You should discuss whether the use of Acellular Dermal Matrix is necessary to protect the radiated breast from capsular contracture after implant.

Reduction and implants

Thanks for you question and certainly once all the swelling has settled you can decide if augmenting the breasts is the way you wish to go.  First please try to not focus too much on the asymmetries you see now for much of this might resolve. I'm assuming you had radiation with a lumpectomy in the past and that radiated breast will swell completely differently than the non-radiated breast.  Radiation makes the breast stiffer with less overall blood supply so it can look very different for several months as the swelling resolves. When one breast has been radiated it heals slower also so it can be wish to give more time then the 3 months suggested before doing augmentation for it could easily take 6 months to truly see the size differential between the two breast. Please try to be very patient with this, radiation just creates a different dynamic and a different set of risks down the road. Let your plastic surgeon guide you as you recover.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Implants after a breast reduction?

You can get implants after a breast reduction. It is wise to wait at least three months, so that the final size and shape of your breasts after reduction can be assessed. Also it allows for the blood flow to be reestablished.

When Can I place Implants After a Breast Reduction?

I can offer patients implants as soon as three months after previous breast lift with or without reduction.  However, if you have a history of radiation to one of your breasts as you describe, please know that radiation therapy predisposes patients to develop capsular contracture with breast implants.  Please discuss the advantages/disadvantages of implants in your case with your surgeon.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Implants after a breast lift

Hello dear, thanks for your question!! I recommend my patients to undergo to another procedure after 6 months post op, because until that long your body is experimenting some changes, so is better to see how your final results are going to be, to decide what is the best for the patient. I recommend to make a personal consultation wit a board certified plastic surgeon to talk abuot your goals!

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast reduction surgery.  As you likely know, it is much too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed. Having said that, most patients are able to undergo breast augmentation surgery 3 to 6 months after breast reduction/lifting surgery; it will be important that all incisions he completely healed  and that there have been no complications associated with the breast reduction procedure.

Keep in mind that your previous history of radiation may be a factor to consider when making decisions regarding the use of breast implants.

Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled  and continue close  follow up with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.