I have Textured Implants. Will they drop/change more after kids compared to Smooth Implants? (photo)

Will I have a more natural "sag" after kids or any drastic change at all once I have kids with textured implants?

I have Textured Implants. Will they drop/change more after kids compared to Smooth Implants?

Having children after breast implants can't have an effect on the position of the breast gland but should not change the position of the actual breast implant.  Textured implants tend to drop less then smooth walled implants.

However if your breast become very large during pregnancy and then become much smaller after pregnancy the breast may sag on top of the implant.

Textured Implants

In general, textured devices have less dropout malposition than round smooth devices. This does not mean that yours will stay put, but it is less likely you have that problem later on, either with or without children.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Natural drop of textured implants after pregnancy

terrific question and thanks for bringing it to the panel. Smooth implants do intend to drop a little more since the adhesive level of smooth is minimal compared to textured. Depending how much breast tissue you develop during pregnancy, the relaxation of your breast tissue may not be sufficient to cause any real noticeable changes to your breast appearance. All the best!

Sean T. Lille, MD

Breast implants then having children

Thank you for your question.  It is not smooth vs textured that is going to determine what your breast look like after having children, it really depends on how large your breast get during pregnancy, if you breast feed, for how long, how well the skin retracts, etc. The implants should remain in the same place if they are placed submuscular. What happens is the breast tissue "falls off" the implant if your skin stretches out and doesn't retract. In this case you would need a lift to repository the areola and the breast tissue.

Textured implants, will they drop

Thanks for your question. Generally textured implants "drop/change" over time less than smooth implants. One function of the textured surface is to decrease the movement of these devices, this is the reason why "anatomic or tear drop" implants are textured. I hope that helped. With that said, your breast should remain looking good after kids. Obviously there will be some changes to your breasts due to aging and having children.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... 

The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as
pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Textured implants

Submuscular implants take longer since muscle has to stretch and expand to give natural sling effect to enlarged breasts. Your breasts will most likely enlarge with pregnancy and if you breast feed . It  can take upto six months after pregnancy to see where you are with appearance with your implants.   Textured or smooth it does not matter.

In long term the textured implants tend to be more fixed in their place than smooth implants. However that difference is marginal. 

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician