I had a breast lift with implants (400cc saline) 11 years ago. Currently 34g. Want to be smaller. Any recommendations? (Photo)

What should I look for in finding a surgeon? Any procedure superior in doing a redo lift, reduction, implant exchange (smaller)? Is the risk higher in a redo?

Cosmetic Breast revision results

Its certainly feasible to remove breast implants and create a lifted breast shape using mastopexy techniques. The replacement of your saline implants with a small silicone implant will preserve some upper breast volume.

Revision breast augmentation and lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  Any time a repeat operation is done, there is slightly higher risk for complications.  It is not uncommon for women to require a revision augmentation and lift.  It is quite important to know what was done by the previous surgeon.  Getting a copy of your old operative report to your new surgeon is very helpful.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

When having re-do's down the road

make sure you have your old operative report so whomever you see knows what was done.  As for downsizing, its not terribly difficult as the most challenging part will be deciding on how much to downsize as it is an arbitrary choice.  Your mastopexy well be revised as needed.  Any experienced board certified surgeon should be able to do this for you so find someone you like and who will provide the follow-up service.  You should also know what the revision policy is just in case you need it.

Curtis Wong, MD

34G breast wanting to be smaller, what do I need to do?

Hi NurseJenifer, Thanks for your question and photos. It seems that you have minimal ptosis or breast droopiness. I would recommend smaller silicone implants under the muscle with a breast reduction/lift to make the breast smaller and little more natural looking. You scar great which should add to your result. The suturing or internal lift may or may not be necessary based on if your implants are over or under the muscle. See several board certified plastic surgeons. Good Luck!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #breastrevision #breastlift Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Revision aug+pexy

downsizing your implants while performed capsular tightening and revision mastopexy is a common procedure for plastic surgeon. If you live near your original plastic surgeon, likely worthwhile seeing them for a consultation in addition to other properly trained plastic surgeons. It appears you have a reasonable long term result 11 years post-op.

Revision Augmentation Mastopexy

Hello,You will need a revision surgery that addresses smaller implants, internal capsular tightening, possible breast reduction, and a revision lift.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Lift and implant size reduction

Recommend both skin removal with smaller implant placement. Tightening of pocket will probably be required. Seek breast revision specialist in your area

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

I had a breast lift with implants (400cc saline) 11 years ago. Currently 34g. Want to be smaller. Any recommendations?

Thank you for the good questions.  Your goals are reasonable and the operation is not necessarily "high risk" if performed by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. My best  suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery. Then, communicate your goals carefully as well.  In my opinion, you should do very well with downsizing of breast implants (preferably convert to silicone gel?)  along with further "tightening" of the breast in envelope ( revision mastopexy).

The best online general advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.  Again, using as many "visual aids" as possible will help eliminate miscommunication. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.