Fat transfer to breasts.
Doctor Answers 4
Is fat transfer an option for breast augmentation?
Thanks so much for your question. It is an option but has limitations compared to breast augmentation. First is how much fat do you have? If you are thin then finding fat can be difficult. If you are larger then we sometimes have larger breasts as well and they might need to be lifted which is a different set of circumstances. Fat transfer is used all the time now by plastic surgeons for breast reconstruction and facial rejuvenation surgery. However, not all the fat that is transferred will stay permanently. You could have more stay on one side vs the other and be left with some symmetry issues after the procedure. It's difficult to answer your question much more specifically without seeing you in person or at least seeing some photos of your breasts and areas where fat could be harvested. Hope this helps a little in starting the dialogue.
Fat Transfer to the Breasts
This is a very nice and safe procedure and can be especially rewarding for patients who require some soft tissue equalization after difficulty with implants. Visit experts in this procedure.
Breast augmentation with transplanted fat.
This is a great option for breast augmentation - if you are a good candidate for it. Most of the potential complications are the same as implant augmentation - infection, bleeding, nipple/skin sensory changes, asymmetry. More specific to fat transfer are fat necrosis, skin necrosis, fat atrophy and the need for additional grafting. This type of augmentation is quite a bit more involved than saline or silicone augmentation. The fat does not act like an implant does, that is if the breast mound is tight, you won't get the same volume effect as you might see with an implant. If you have breasts that need a lift and augmentation, you might be better off with the implant or have the procedure performed in stages. If you have dense, glandular breasts an implant augmentation might be a better option - it is difficult to inject fat into glandular tissue. Compared with fat augmentation to the buttocks, breast augmentation requires even more finesse, in my opinion. Make sure that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in fat transfer, particularly fat augmentation to the breast. Hope this helps!
You might also like...
Double the size of your breasts with fat transfer breast augmentation
- Fat transfer to the breasts can look awesome!
- Not all the fat survives so there are times when a second surgery could be required.
- I think it is best for patients that have a nice shape to their breasts already.
- You can essentially double the size of your breast at the time of surgery with fat transfer, but the expected final benefit would be closer to 50-70% of that.
- Fat is placed over the muscle mostly. Filling under the muscle may also be possible.
- The procedure is longer and way more tedious than an implant breast augmentation. Each drop of fat is meticulously placed in the breast. If not done with care and precision then less fat survives and you waste money. Make sure that you go to an expert surgeon in breast fat grafting. Not all surgeons are willing to take the time to so carefully place each drop of fat.
- Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville who cares for patients from Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Hamilton, Burlington, Georgetown, Milton and the GTA. He strives to be the best plastic surgeon and is one of the few plastic surgeons in Canada with 5-star ratings on RealSelf, RateMD and Ontario Doctor Review. He is the director of cosmetic surgery training and an assistant clinical professor at McMaster University.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.