Is there any other types of anaesthesia that does not put you to sleep?

as this is a fear i have. I am going under a procedure to get my nose straightend but i am very scared to get put to sleep is there any way that i can still be consious throughtout the procedure without feeling pain or discomfort

Rhinoplasty anesthesia

Surgeons have different approaches to anesthesia for facial surgery and rhinoplasty.  While patient comfort and safety is of utmost concern and importance it cannot be understated that the surgeon should also be comfortable with the approach.  If extensive internal work needs to be done that involves the nasal airway (e.g. septoplasty, powered turbinate reduction) I require general anesthesia for safety reasons.  While local anesthesia with oral medication supplemented with IV medications is a safe and reasonable approach for some  patients most prefer to undergo general anesthesia with a board certified physician anesthesiologist.

Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty under Local Anesthesia

Hi ang28x,

A straight forward answer will be that local anesthesia will also totally numb your nose without putting you to sleep and anti-anxiety medication can be given pre-operatively to calm your anxiety during surgery. Calming your mind and giving yourself all the information you need prior to the procedure will on the other hand ease your fear of the procedure.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Anesthesia

Personally, I think it is in your best interest to be under general anesthesia for your rhinoplasty. Speak with your surgeon and anesthesiologist about your anxiety. This may help to alleviate your fear. There are also medications that can help as well.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar 

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and local anesthesia

It is possible to undergo rhinoplasty under local anesthesia as long as you're healthy and you meet certain guidelines.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question surgeon’s prefer their patient under general anesthesia for this procedure because rhinoplasty requires the surgeons undivided attention

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia

It is really in yours and the surgeon’s best interest to have you under general anesthesia for this procedure because rhinoplasty is a very precise surgery and requires the surgeons undivided attention. The last thing you want is the surgeon being disrupted because you are uncomfortable or experiencing pain. If you are under general anesthesia, it is a much safer option and the anesthesiologist monitors you continuously while you are under and if any complications arise they can adjust your medications, breathing, temperature, fluids and blood pressure as needed. This takes it off of the surgeon and his RN’s/technicians so they can completely focus on the procedure itself. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

General anesthesia for rhinoplasty

In our practice, we perform general anesthesia by a board-certified physician anesthesiologist for patient safety and comfort for all rhinoplasty procedures. The reason for this is that it is very difficult to get the nose completely numb with lidocaine, the lidocaine shots themselves are very painful in the nose, and when performing osteotomies and  breaking the nasal bones, this will also be very painful. In addition, it is critical to have control of the airway, so the patients do not aspirate blood down  into their lungs during the procedure. Trying to perform a rhinoplasty under local anesthesia is a very bad idea. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Yes you can be awake during a rhinoplasty

I personally put all my patients to sleep because I feel it is the safest for both my patients and for my own personal mental concentration (if even 1% of me is focused on you because you are awake, its 1% less focus on the surgery!).  But there are phenomenal surgeons who perform rhinoplasty with you under conscious sedation (where you are awake the entire time but with some drugs on board to help calm and relax you).  It is relatively pain free after the numbing injections are utilized.  If that is a make or break decision for you, please find a surgeon who is VERY experienced in this as it can be dangerous to be under conscious sedation when performing a rhinoplasty (risk of aspiration if bleeding from the nose goes down the throat).  Most surgeons would put you to sleep but there are surgeons who do it awake.  Neither is right or wrong. Its surgeon preference!  All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD