I have skinny legs although I have played all different sports all my life.

It's very embarrassing, especially in todays world where shorts are popular and an accepted part of casual dress. I play a lot of golf and cant bear to go out in shorts like all my pals I am always making excuses for not wearing them sometimes I cant wait for the weather to deteriorate so I can dress like everyone else. its a big big problem for me, please help, thank you R

Calf Implant?

Thank you for your question! It is hard to tell exactly what procedure will benefit you best without a physical examination.  I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval PatelDouble Board Certified Plastic SurgeonChicagoHoffman EstatesOak Brook

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Calf implants for thin legs - in a golfer

Thank you for asking about your calf implants.
  • I am sorry you find yourself in this situation - 
  • You can have soft solid silicone implatns in your legs to give shape to the calves.
  • Depending on the look you want, one or two implants are placed in each leg.
  • The implants go directly over the calf (gastrocnemius) muscle.
  • Typically the surgery is very painful for several weeks but with Exparel injections at surgery, there is usually little pain.
  • The implants will only enlarge the upper 2/3rds of the leg, where the muscle sits.
  • To thicken the lower leg, you can have fat injections done at the same time -
  • These have less predictable results and often need to be repeated but are the only option for lower leg fullness.
  • You will not be able to play golf for about 4 weeks after surgery.
  • Not many plastic surgeons do calf implants - 
  • Since you are in Georgia, I would be happy to see you (I am in Atlanta) - just call my office!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Help for skinny legs

Other than favorable genetics combined with rigorous consistent exercise, there is no other way to augment the calf muscles besides calf implants. Fat transfer will NOT work, period!  Surgical prices vary by region, surgeon reputation, and surgical experience.  However, very few plastic surgeons specialize in this operation so you may have to travel a long distance to one that does. The implants are made of soft semi-solid silicone rubber and placed surgically through a small (3/4 inch) incision in a natural crease behind the knee. When the implants are properly sized and placed under the muscle fascia, they should blend in and look natural. There are too many critical nerves and blood vessels under the muscle to risk this technique. All surgery comes with post-operative pain and recovery.  For calf implants, the first two weeks after surgery is the most difficult time because walking is painful. Recovery usually progresses at a smooth steady pace from there. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD