Revision Rhinoplasty to fix my SEVERE Breathing problems. But will my nose will look deformed? I had a Rhinoplasty 2 years ago.

I had a Rhinoplasty to remove the hump of my nose and the tip slightly. Unfortunately I have had SEVERE breathing problems since. I can sometimes get air through alternating nostrils. Booked an appointment but i have been back numerous times, however they seem reluctant to fix it Can anyone please help? I am wondering if the fact that too much cartilage has been removed from lower nose may be it? I'm also worried that any correction might come at the price of a disformed looking nose?

Cosmetic revision rhinoplasty and functional nasal surgery for breathing

A revision rhinoplasty can be performed for functional purposes to change the shape of the nose. Functional nasal surgery is performed for improvement are breathing which can be caused by a variety of issues such as turbinate hypertrophy, a deviated nasal septum, chronic sinusitis, valve collapse, vestibular stenosis, or as a result of prior surgery. A thorough internal and external examination of the nose is required by a double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon to determine what the cause of the obstruction is. It's also important to try and fail medical management first before electing to undergo surgical manipulation of the nose for improvement of airflow dynamics.

Breathing after Revision Rhinoplasty

lisamarie,

Nasal surgery is a technically challenging procedure.  During your initial consultation your surgeon should evaluate not just the outside "cosmetic" apprearance of your nose, but also asses the internal support structure of your nose.  Your issue may be because of your septum or possible internal nasal valve vs other.  Consulting with a double board certified otolaryngologist and facial plastic surgeon will provide you with options for improving your ability to breath.  The underlying cause of your difficulty breathing will determine if correcting it will cause a change in the cosmetic appearance of your nose.

Julie Edween, DO

Revision nose

lisamarie14, your best bet is to visit with a double board certified experienced surgeon who has his/her boards in Otolaryngology as well as Facial Plastic Surgery and/or Plastic Surgery. I would say that is true for whatever procedure one is contemplating in the head and neck area but especially for revision rhinoplasty. Search the Internet and see the video. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

thanks for your question about revision rhinoplasty. This is a procedure that I perform commonly. Most often the reason for nasal breathing issues after rhinoplasty is because the septum has been neglected or there has been too much removed from the dorsum of the nose. Please send some pictures so that I can get a better analysis of what is actually happening with the nose. Whatever you should do in the future please consult with a double board-certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. 

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon