What is the best procedure to fix my gummy smile? (photos)

I want to fix my gummy smile, I would like to know which way (or combination of ways) would best achieve this.

Doctor Answers 5

Orthognatic analysis

braces, and surgery , will be the best solution for you, but you need to have a good orthognatic analysis,the best option is to see a doctor which has this 2 specialties., 

Fixing a gummy smile

The best treatment can be determined after measuring the length of your lips and doing an x-ray analysis. Treatment may involve braces, jaw surgery, or a combination of both. Lip repositioning surgery can be an alternative to jaw surgery in some cases.

Yasser A. Elseweifi, DDS
Chicago Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Gummy Smile

In your case I would suggest an orthognatic surgery to push upward your upper jaw, then braces to align teeth correctly and porcelain veneers for final aesthetics. A second option if you don't want to get the surgery might be lip reposition surgery that is really simple and can be done on a dental clinic, and recontouring of the gum with a gingivoplastly, and the the porcelain veneers. 

Dr. Galvá

Javier Galvá, DDS, MSc
Dominican Republic Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Gummy smile

Jaw surgery is definitely the best option for a more permanent fix. If you are looking for a non-surgical approach, Botox injections can help as well. The biggest downfall with Botox is that it is temporary. You will need Botox every 3-4 months (some people up to 6 months) to maintain the results. A few of my younger patients end up going for the jaw surgery after a few treatments of botox. The older ones are happy to avoid the surgery.

Colleen Lam, DMD
Palm Beach Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 review

Gummy amile

the best and ONLY way in your case is to have jaw surgery. Your upper jaw has vertically overgrown. Osteotomy should be performed and it should be pushed up. It takes 1 hour to do in hospital. 

Majid Jamali, DMD
New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.