How long does the solution for Smart Liposuction take to leave your legs? (Photo)

It's been over 8 weeks since my op - nearly 9 and I have been told I still have pockets of solution on parts of my legs- mostly ankles. I have been told they will give me complimentary 1 hour ilipo sessions with the machine but that's been broken and I've had to cancel 3 appointments already. I'm so uncomfortable and my lower legs look so puffy. HELP

Liposuction Swelling.

Liposuction swelling can hang around for several months especially in the legs.  Compression hose, exercise and massage as well as time will help it resolve.

Cedar Park Family Physician

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

Swelling in the legs can last up to a year.  I suggest lymphatic massage, compression, and RF treatments like venus legacy or exilis and shock therapy like cellutone and z wave.  Best, Dr. Emer.

The fluid injected at the time of surgery is long gone. no role for additional surgery this early

the fluid that was injected at the time of surgery is largely gone by 24 hours. You will however have swelling internally as a result of the procedure. Swelling also descends with gravity, which is why your ankles and lower legs are more swollen. if you do Smartlipo on the lower legs and ankles, you will just end up with even more swelling. Be patient and it will gradually improve. Smartlipo takes a full 6 months to get maximum benefit and for the lower leg it can be even longer. remember you also see your lower legs as much puffier than anyone else sees them.david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Lipo solution still in legs?

You did not say what type of liposuction you had. Was it your entire leg or just  certain areas. The more work you had done on the leg the longer there will be swelling which can last up to a year.  The actual solution placed into the body is gone within a day. What you're seeing is your body's natural response to any type of trauma that is creating edema As I I mentioned this can take a long time to go away. You should continue with your compression. Depending on which areas were done you may even benefit from some sort of support hose that actually cover your feet and ankles. At the very least you should elevate your feet as much as possible . You should not consider any type of additional liposculpture for at least six months or longer  no matter how tempting that may be 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tissue fluid after liposuction and a strange story

There are two types of fluid: the fluid that's injected into your body to numb it for liposuction, and the fluid that your body makes as it heals from lipo. The injected fluid is gone in 24-36 hours, but the fluid made by the body as part of the normal healing process takes a few weeks to go away and you can expect varying degrees of swelling for a few months as your body's lymphatic system recovers. Extra lipo won't help get rid of tissue fluid. You need compression and massage. Your comments are unusual - free sessions, but the machine is broken???