Juvederm lip filler. Is this only swelling? (Photo)

I had this done today. My lips look very big, this wasnt the result I was looking for and I had advised I wanted it to look sutle. To me this is not. Is this only swelling and is it likley to go down? If not is this easily reversed? I feel like daffy duck. Help!

Lip augmentation

Lips can swell quite a bit from injections. I would give it a week or two to settle down. Best of luck.

Juvederm Injections and the Lips

Since you only had the swelling done today I would not worry so much.  It can take several days for the swelling to go away.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with fillers for the best cosmetic result.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm lip filler. Is this only swelling?

Appears as very very minimal swelling if any! Best to contact your injecting doctor to discuss..............

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is common to have swelling that develops immediately after filler placement into the lips as the tissues are thin and delicate.  This should spontaneously resolve over the next several days to give you a better sense of your long term results.  Swelling can worsen for the first 2-3 days after treatment so do not be alarmed, and you may wish to consider the use of cold compresses to try and limit the swelling.  Hope that this helps. 

Lip filler swelling

Thank you for your question.  This appears to be swelling which will resolve in 2-5 days.  If after the swelling resolves you are still unhappy with your lips the may be reversed with hyaluronidase.  For the future if you are going to a subtle look, I would advise using Restylane Silk rather than Juvederm as Juvederm is more likely to provide the larger volume, while Silk will give you the look you are looking for.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Early days yet

Its almost Universal that patients will have swelling following filers in the lips! 100%...and most will think that too much filler was used. This is normal. It can take beyond a week before things settle down, so I always reassess at 2 weeks. Best under filled, then over filled.

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Swelling From Lip Injections

Rest assured this is mainly swelling from your injections and is always worse in the first 24-48 hours. Typically the combination of the application of numbing creams, the trauma from the needle, and the lidocaine within the filler contribute equally to create inflammation and swelling. I have my patietns return to our clinic two weeks post injection if they would like furthur augmentation. 

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Swelling after lip filler

Injected filler into the lip can create significant swelling of the tissue for 2-3 days and may longer than a week in some patients.  Treatment with cold compresses or ice after treatment can reduce swelling of the area and should be done often throughout the day.   Results from lip filler will be more apparent after 7-10 days.  If the volume is ever greater than desired, hyaluronidase injections can be used to dissolve some of the filler to reduce the effect.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon