Earlobe not healing as well it should?

I had a small ear piercing closed 4 weeks ago with punch excision and one stitch on front and back. The front scar is clearly indented and depressed looking and doesn't seem fully closed. Will it flatten out in time or should I seek to follow up with my surgeon now or is it too soon? It actually still looks like it's pierced which is frustrating to say the least.

Earlobe not healing as well it should?

Hello Freyaann,

At 1 month there is still a lot of healing to take place and swelling affecting the appearance of your earlobe repair.  If you have concerns, you should see your surgeon, but it sounds like this could be considered within normal healing.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Repair

Thanks for your question!  You are far from your final result, as scar tissue continues to remodel for upwards of 18 months post procedure.  I would however suggest following up with your surgeon.  You can also start scar massaging the area to help soften the scar.  Hang in there and best of luck!

Ear lobe repair

The indentation will not get better. The area needs to be opened up again, skin needs to be undermined and then stitched back. 

The other option is let it heal for 6 to 8 weeks and then get a piercing in the depression itself. 

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe incision at 4 weeks

At 4 weeks you are very early in the healing process and need to give it time to settle down. Best of luck.