BA results: Do I have capsular contracture? (photos)

Hi again everyone. I've posted on here a couple of times already, as im really not happy with the results of BA I had in July. Apart from not being happy with shape and placement I think I have developed capsular contracture :( I am hoping my PS will do a revision surgery to correct all of this but due to distance and his scheduling I can not see him until next month. Can I ask your opinion whether I have CC and if in your opinion my PS should provide me with revision surgery free of charge?

Concerned about Capsular Contracture

One of the most common problems is breast capsular #contracture or the development of thickening, and contracture of the capsule that exists around the breast implants. Severe capsule contracture probably occurs in less than 15% of augmentation patients. Every woman has a breast capsule around their implant and this is a normal phenomenon. The capsule itself could be as thin as Saran Wrap but may also become calcified and thickened. As it thickens and shrinks, the patient may develop a feeling a firmness of the breasts and in its worst situation, the breast may become painful and abnormal in appearance, achieving a very round, hard, and uneven appearance. There may be distortion and possible breakage and leakage of an older implant, but may also include a newer #implant. Nicotine users, such as smokers, have up to a 30x increased risk of #capsular contracture.

Saline implants may deflate spontaneously. When the patient has significant #symptoms, complete or partial leakage of their saline implant, or concerns regarding silicone leakage, it is recommended that the implant is removed and exchanged. Frequently, this is performed on both sides depending upon the age of the implant. Capsulotomy or opening of the capsule may be required or frequently capsulectomy, which is removal of the scarred capsule, is recommended to ensure adequate pocket dimensions.

New implants may then be placed in the same existing position or may undergo a change of #placement frequently from submammary to subpectoral position and, on occasion, the other way around.

BA results: Do I have capsular contracture?

It looks like you you had a breast lift also, it is hard to judge results without seeing the before pictures. It is not possible to tell from the pictures if you have capsular contracture. Since capsular contracture is not predictable, in most cases, the patient is responsible for the costs of revision. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your BA procedure. Your right side does appear to have a capsular contracture, but a definitive diagnosis would require an examination. Capsular contraction is the most common problem with breast augmentation procedures. Regarding the price, I can't speak for your PS, however, typically you would at least have to pay for the OR, supplies and anesthesia. According to your contract, you may get a new implant from the implant company. 

Thank you for your question and photo, and I hope everything works out for you.

CC or not

You would have to be examined in person to determine if you have a capsular contracture.  It can not be determined based upon a photo alone.

In order to make a diagnosis of capsular contracture we would need to perform an examination of the breasts. A photos is, unfortunately, of little to no help. When you signed permission to do the surgery you were, or should have been, informed verbally and in writing that CC can happen and it is caused by your healing, not by the surgeon and that further surgery and expenses may be necessary. So if you do have a CC the doctor has no obligation to provide you with free surgery since you willingly undertook that risk. However, most of us are interested in our patients being happy with their surgery and pleased with our services and are willing to adjust fees. You would still be responsible for other costs such as the surgical suite fees and the anesthesiologist's charges. But each office will have their own policies and you will need to contact your surgeon for the real answer. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation results: Do I have capsular contracture?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. The diagnosis of capsular contraction, cannot be made based on photographs only (unless there is very severe distortion of the breasts present). In other words, the diagnosis is best made by palpation of the breasts.

Policy regarding coverage of expenses for revisionary surgery will vary from office to office and probably on a case-by-case basis as well. Costs of revisionary surgery may range from zero, to anesthesia/surgery center fees, to discounted surgeon's fees.

Impossible to tell

regarding cap con, when you see your surgeon, he/she will be able to figure that out with a physical exam. In regards to revision, every PS has their own policies, typically most will correct something if there is a problem at cost, meaning they make nothing but the patient pays for anesthesia fees and implants(Woman always want to go bigger). 

Do I have CC?

The diagnosis of capsular contracture can only be made by feeling the resistance to compression of the breast implant in its capsule. Distortion of the position of the implant can still be present from the surgery in the absence of capsular contracture. Your plastic surgeon will be a better position to compare your results with your preoperative photographs and counsel you as to whether a small touchup would make things better. The fees for revisions are totally dependent upon each plastic surgeons office policies. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Diagnosis of capsular contracture requires in-person exam

You will need to be examined by your plastic surgeon to determine if you have capsular contracture. It is not common to develop it this early but one sign would be if the breast felt soft after surgery but now begins to feel firm. It would be even more unusual to develop it in both breasts.

Richard Baxter, MD