Would I benefit from having a breast reduction?

I'm interested in having breast reduction surgery, im 18 years old 5 ft 8, weight 177lbs and i wear a size 36GG. I used to be very active but due to the pain that i get when i do intense exercise i exercise less frequently. Would i be an ideal patient for this surgery.I want to live a life where my big breasts dont inter fear with my life.

Hi and thanks for you question. It would have been great if you had posted photos. I hear your frustration and pain.

As far as your age, height, weight , and bra size,  it certainly sounds like you could benefit greatly. I recently performed a breast reduction on an 18 year old. It's probably the most rewarding breast surgery that I perform. The patients are so grateful. You are young and the situation will only get worse for you. The other questions you need to ask, ( which I am sure your mom has) is "Will my beasts contiunue to grow? What happens when I have kids? How big will my breasts get? Will I be able to breast feed? ". These are all questions I like to address with the patient and her mom or parents. It's usually the mom who accompanies young women considering this surgery.

I have been performing breast reductions for the past 29 years in the Miami area.  Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Good luck. Dr. PG

Do not hesitate to proceed with breast reduction

You will be pleased with the results of a breast reduction. Smaller, perkier and more proportionate breasts will result. Shopping for clothes will be much easier. But more important, you will avoid chronic shoulder and neck pain from the shoulder grooving due to the supportive garment needed to support your heavy breasts. Good luck, you will not be disappointed. Make sure to ask for before and after photos when shopping for a board certified plastic surgeon.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

Hi, as read, you could be a good candidate for breast reduction, but before that you should be subjected to certain analysis and criteria for determining that this procedure is optimal for you.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

You definitely sound like a suitable candidate for a breast reduction/lift.  If you are wanting to do this using your insurance company, just know that the majority of insurance companies require you to be 18 years of age.  You will experience a lot of relief from this surgery, and it will certainly help with your activity level.   Best of luck!

From your description of your breast, you would be an excellent candidate or a reduction mammoplasty. Some of my happiest patients have been those who had reduction mammoplasty's. Virtually all of my patients have had significant relief of pain in the shoulders and neck following the procedure.
During your initial consultation with your plastic surgeon you will learn what to expect with the recovery and the limitations. Basically it's an excellent procedure with outstanding results, and I wish you the best of luck.

Breast Reduction

You would be a perfect candidate for the breast reduction surgery.  It can reduce the burden of the large breasts and improve your lifestyle.

Breast Reduction Surgery for a More Active Lifestyle!

Women who have undergone breast reduction surgery are typically the happiest and most grateful patients.  They have pre-surgery symptoms that include neck, shoulder and back pain along with shoulder grooves from their bra straps.  They, like you, find exercise to be painful because of the size of their breasts.  They also feel out of proportion to the rest of their body.
With your measurements, you sound like you would be a good candidate for this surgery.  During this procedure, your breasts are reduced in size, lifted and shaped.  After this procedure, you will feel lighter and leaner and more able to exercise and to enjoy the activities you have been avoiding because of your breast size.
Be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Wishing You the Best!

Cecilia Franco-Webb, M.D.

Breast lift candidate

It sounds like you would be a perfect candidate, as long as your breasts are no longer growing.  It can change your life.

I am sorry to hear about the problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing  you. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. Ultimately, you will receive the best advice during in-person consultations with board certified plastic surgeons.

Generally speaking, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Other than the presence of symptoms, the “ideal” patient for breast reduction surgery is one who is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure.

When the time is right, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  you may find the attached link, dedicated breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.