I have a Breast Augmentation almost 4 months ago. 330cc over the muscle, high profile. Do I have CC?

After surgery my right breast felt tight, Like something was caught inside; as though a thread was being pulled from nipple (inside) to my side (below armpit.) I leant over one day and felt a popping sensation and fluid rushed into the breast. The breast became swollen and painful and I saw my PS. The swelling eventually subsided weeks later. Now that breast is a LOT harder than the left. The side of my breast is tender and not pleasant to touch or brush against. What is this likely to be?

Breast Augmentation Concerns

I appreciate your message. It is very important that you see your plastic surgeon for a follow up visit right away. You may have a hematoma or capsular contracture which would potentially require revision. Best of luck to you.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Delayed Breast Implant Problems

It sounds like you may have had a small hematoma early on. This can be associated with a higher risk of capsular contracture.  It is a delayed reaction to the inflammatory process initiated by the hematoma.  Consider discussing this matter further with your surgeon.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture can develop after a couple of months so your timeframe does coincide with this complication.  The hardness of the implant is concerning for this. You can try massage daily to see if it improves but many times this does not eliminate your symptoms.  A revision with capsulectomy may ultimately be required.  

Capsular contracture?

Since your right breast is much harder than the other one, this sounds like you have a capsular contracture on that side.  Best to return to your surgeon for an evaluation.  There are some non-surgical treatments, but significant capsules may require surgery.

Bleeding causes capsular contracture

The episode where the breast became swollen most likely is the cause of your capsular contracture.  It was most likely  bleeding which does increase the risk of CC.

Hard breast

You may have developed a capsule around the right breast. I would suggest going back to your surgeon to have him/her check you. There are some nonsurgical treatments that may be helpful, but sometimes surgery is needed to release the capsule.  Good luck to you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Do I have CC?

you definitely sound like you have a capsular contracture especially if the opposite breast is soft and nontender. Why this occurred is another question. Post operative bleeding can cause excess scar tissue which is what a capsular contracture is. Your plastic surgeon will help you with your options. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture

The fact that your right breast feels significantly harder than the left suggests that you may have capsular contracture. The best way to diagnose this problem is by returning to your surgeon for an examination. Massaging the tender side of your breast may help to desensitize the area until you get in to see your surgeon. 

Concerned about capsular contracture

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• It isn't clear what caused the tightness and popping after your surgery.
  • It may have been a suture.
  • Regardless, the present firmness and discomfort of your breast suggests a capsular contracture.
  • I suggest you return to your plastic surgeon to find out of this is the case.
  • A minor capsule may increase with medications 
  • At times, surgery is needed to improve a capsule.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes