Any suggestions on surgeries to make me look better from the side?

I think I look pretty chubby from the side. I have a pretty big head and a small face if that makes sense. From the side all you see is lots of cheek. When I smile, from the side, my cheeks look even bigger and stick out so much that it makes my eyes and lips look so tiny from the side. I have very chubby cheeks and no jawline definition. What can I do to improve how I look from the side. Non surgical and surgical options please.

There are many things that can be done to enhance the profile and a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon would give you the best answer.  However, neck liposculpture and/or malar "cheekbone" enhancement can give remarkable results.  The volume for the augmentation can be done with your own tissue which is called facial fat transfer, or it can be done with semi permanent fillers that totally resorb over 3-6 months, or Bellafill, which I prefer can give an almost permanent result.  As one ages, you loose significant fat from the face, and filling the lost volume is very important. to a fresher and more pleasing appearance.

Carlsbad Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.
If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Facial Profile

Without pictures to actually see your facial concerns it is impossible to provide any treatment recommendations. While a lot of options exist to improve your profile (fat removal, jawline augmentation) how they might apply to you is unknown.

Evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. In some patients fillers or liposuction can help. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD