Sclerotherapy on Swelling?

I'm a 32-year-old female, with swelling over left side mendible, jaw area, and lower neck line. The doctor suggested sclerotherapy, is it advisable?

Sclerotherapy and swelling.

Sclerotherapy is not the first line treatment for swelling and, based on what you state, I am not sure if it is indicated.  I would recommend that you find the cause for the swelling and treat that appropriately.  You may require further evaluation by diagnostic testing.

Naples General Surgeon

This depends...

on the precise diagnosis.

it sounds like you have some sort of vascular malformation.  this would need to be elucidated first with a nuclear medicine scan and then possible sclerotherapy injections.  you should see a vascular surgeon or interventional radiologist for this diagnosis/procedure.

Cheers

Craig Crippen, MD
Kelowna Physician

Sclerotherapy is not advisable on swelling you describe

There are multiple possible causes of the swelling you describe, but none of them that I can think of are treatable with sclerotherapy. Besides, sclerotherapy of the face can be a risky procedure because of the proximity of large, intracranial veins.

Your best bet is to see a head and neck specialist - ENT or a general surgeon with a special interest in head and neck pathology.

Go soon so you can rest easy.

Robert Swanson, MD - RETIRED
Bay Area General Surgeon

See head and neck surgeon for jaw swelling or neck mass

Without examining you and getting a more detailed history, I highly advise that you see a head and neck specialist and have him/her evaluate you with a CT scan and or MRI/MRA to determine the cause of this problem before any treatment is undertaken. Sclerotherapy is not a common procedure for this type of problem. A more ominous source such as a vascular anomaly, neoplasm/cancer must be ruled out. A oromaxillofacial surgeon evaluation may also be warranted. I advise that you see a specialist soon.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon