What is wrong with my eyelids? (photos)

Over the past few months my upper eyelids have appeared swollen/ droopy constantly. The left eye is slightly worse. I am only 23 so it shouldn't be from aging. I do have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and thyroid issues. No known allergies. What are possible causes and treatments for this?

Doctor Answers 4

Could your thyroid be giving you eyelid issues?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hypo and hyperthyroid disease can affect the eyelids and orbit, even before the disease affects your thyroid hormone.  Signs of thyroid related problems include swelling, tightness around the eye, dry eyes, double vision among other.  It is best to be evaluated and followed by an oculoplastic surgeon in your area to determine if this is your problem.

Eyelids look older than age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You would need to see an oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate. Certainly hyperthyroid issues can cause eyelid swelling and eyelid retraction which the photo shows. But I would have to see you in consultation for a definitive answer.

Byron A. Long, MD
Marietta Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Hypothyroid or hyperthyroid? You did not specify.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is honestly no substitute for a personal consultation.  The primary purpose of the consultation is to learn what bothers you.   These photos do not convey that concern.  For that reason, it is essential to have an in person consultation to get to the bottom of what is bothering you.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You might also like...


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From these photos it is hard to determine but you are right it is unusual to have droopy eyelids at such a young age.  One thing to consider is that thyroid and other health issues can affect the eyes and their appearance.  Comparing the look fo the eyes now to old photos can help determine if these changes are new.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic surgeon who can work with your primary doctor to determine the cause and recommend any treatment

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.