Am I a candidate for face lift? (photo)

I am 36 years old and used fillers for the last 8 years. Now I feel I have distinct jowels and adding filler only compounds the problem. Am I too young for a lift? I clearly have sagging.

Facelift and ideal age

Hello! If your jowls and mid face sagging are bothering you, a mini lift would improve the skin excess in the region. A lift will reposition some of the fat pads that have started to sag, giving you extra fullness over your fold and in your jowl region, but will not add volume to your face. You would likely still need to maintain with fillers to improve the folds over the long haul. Good luck!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

A Modified Facelift Can Help

Thank you for the question. Because everyone ages at different rates, 36 is not completely unheard of for facelift surgery. You may be a good candidate for a facelift that's been customized to suit your distinct needs. A more conservative approach can help tighten up your jawline and stave off the aging process for some time. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon who has ample experience in facial rejuvenation.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Have a Consultation About It

Deciding whether to continue using fillers or having facial plastic surgery requires a personal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. It is difficult to judge from your photo what the best approach would be. You're only 36, but it's not out of the question to undergo a mini facelift to address concerns about your jowls. Good luck. 

Facelift

Thank you for your question. You are a candidate for a facelift that provides minor lifting and tightening as you are experiencing minimal sagging. There are non-surgical options and other procedures that can target your concerns. Please consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

36 years old and used fillers for the last 8 years. Feel adding filler only compounds the problem. Too young for facelift?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early "jowl" formation.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.
If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  It can also lead to "pseudo jowls" from a lack of bony support along the sides of the chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. Hope this helps.    

FACELIFT AT 36?

It's impossible to tell from the photograph, but it appears a limited "lift" that focuses on your jowls would be the best approach.  That being said, if you were in my office I would undoubtedly find a non surgical option for you.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Facelift at 36?

It is difficult to tell from your photo which is angulated . However it does appear that you have jowls. A combination of mini liposuction using small cannulas for the jowl and a cheek lift with the incision in the sideburn behind the tragus and just around the eat lobe would give you a nice result  Facial aging is different for everyone. Faster aging depends on many factors including genetics, Sun damage weight loss and gain.  If you have noticed changes then you could have a noticeable improvement with a cheek lift. Your best option is to seek a board-certified plastic surgeon with considerable facial experience especially in cheek lift/mini left 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Candidate?

I would have to personally examine you to be sure, but if you pull up on each side of the jaw, under the ears, and your jowls improve, then you are probably a great candidate for a lift. I've performed many lifts on patients in their 30's. They are usually great candidates for a "minilift" that is performed in the office using local anesthetic. Sutures are removed in a week. Many with longer hair can cover their sutures to truly minimize any downtime.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift for the younger ladies

Thank you very much for your question and for providing a photo. I feel you would be a good candidate for a facelift.  have pioneered the Concept Facelift which is performed under local anaesthetic and addresses the mid to lower face. It is far less invasive than your traditional facelift and gives beautiful, natural results. Patients of mine are mostly impressed with their smooth jawline! Recovery is very quick - usually within two weeks you will feel ready to go back to your usual activities including work. There is also no need for drains or bandages and you will be in and out of the clinic within a few hours. Bruising is minimal - if any and there is only a small bit of swelling for the first few days post surgery. I would advise to do your research and go for consultations before making a decision. I wish you all the best.

Too Young for a Facelift?

While a facelift at 36 is unusual, it is not unheard of.  If you have the indications for a facelift, including excess skin and jowling, then you may be a candidate.  I recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who will discuss your options with you, both surgical and nonsurgical.

Cheers,
Dr. Michael Epstein
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL