Scared of permanent nerve damage

This pain is indescribable!  To say that I regret getting CS is an understatement.  I had three sections of abdomen done and I am practically doubled over in pain 24/7.  I've given birth to twins and it was nothing compared to this.  I am petrified that permanent damage was done (it's 7 days post CS).  I'm popping pain pills constantly and nothing is working.   Help!!!:(((

Coolsculpting

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are in pain. I recommend contacting your physician so he can provide you with the correct medication to help with your pain.

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Scared of permanent nerve damage

Thank you for your question. So sorry to hear that. Based on your description, you may be experiencing late-onset pain. I would recommend speaking to your treating physician as he/she may be able to prescribe you a medication that can help you with your recovery. All the best, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Pain after Coolsculpting

It sounds like you are experiencing delayed onset pain.  This is a potential side effect of coolsculpting that happens in a small percentage of patients.  It is typically gone by 2 weeks.  I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation.  There are several treatments which can help alleviate the symptoms you are experiencing.  The chance of permanent nerve damage is very unlikely.  I have had patients who have described literally the exact same situation you are describing and they have all recovered just fine.  I know what you are experiencing is very uncomfortable.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Discomfort from CoolSculpting

If you are experiencing severe pain after CoolSculpting, I would recommend seeking immediate help. You should contact your provider immediately. There are some good options for pain control. Rest assured this pain will be temporary and will eventually resolve. I hope you feel better soon. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-CoolSculpting Pain - SEEK AN EXPERT

I suggest following up with your physician immediately. It is very uncommon to be experiencing pain like you describe 7 days post CoolSculpting. Best, Dr. Emer

Pain after Coolsculpting

I am so sorry to hear you are experiencing pain. I would certainly followup with your provider. Nerve pain after Coolsculpting to the abdomen is common and is usually mild and tolerable. In rare cases when the nerve pain is severe there is a medication that can help for those that are candidates to take it. I hope you feel better soon.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Late-Onset Nerve Pain

You should contact your provider as soon as possible if you are still experiencing this extreme pain.  Late-onset nerve pain is a normal reaction from CoolSculpting, especially in the abdomen.  Your provider should be able to prescribe you the medication to help minimize the pain you are feeling.  The late-onset nerve pains usually only last for a few days at most, even without medication, so don't get too worried about any type of permanent damage.  If this pain persists, contact your provider for your best options.  Best of luck! 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Pain after Coolsculpting

Any time you are having that much discomfort/pain from a procedure, you should contact your provider immediately! The office that did your Coolsculpting should be able to help you through this and get you the appropriate medications to help you feel significantly better quickly.  Rest assured however that with or without medication this will pass very soon. This is not permanent.  Some patients do have pain for about 3-4 days starting at around the 3rd or 4th day after treatment.  Hang in there.  Best of luck. 

Grant Stevens, MD

CoolSculpting and pain

Hang in there. It is common for patients to experience nerve pain after the CoolSculpting procedure and it can last several weeks. The good news is that it can be easily controlled with a medication for neuropathic pain call Neurontin (gabapentin). I would contact your CoolSculpting provider and he/she will probably be willing to write a prescription for you.