Could anyone give me advice on which doctor or clinic would be reliable to do a consulting appointment? (Photo)

I have uneven / asymmetrical eyelids and I would love to get surgery done if possible. I am no expert in this so I don't know what would be the main cause for this. I live in Toronto and I would like, if anyone could give me advice, on which doctor or clinic would be reliable to do a consulting appointment! If someone could also analyze the cause of this and what my situation is, that'd be great too! Thank you!!
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Doctor Answers 5

We live in a specialize world.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You live in a community with an amazingly diverse population.  One would think that if any city could support an anesthetically oriented oculoplastic surgeon who fundamentally understands Asian eyelids, it would be Toronto.  Yet every month I am seeing individuals who travel to see me from Toronto for the repair of eyelid issues.  That tells me that there may not be anyone who actually addresses these concerns in the Toronto market who focuses on these concerns.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Treatment for Asian eyelids with dermatochalasis and possible ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question. It appears from the posted photo that you might have a couple of eyelid issues. Asian eyelids are particularly tricky to perform surgery on. Make sure to see a doctor who is experienced with Asian eyelids. You can Google Board-Certified Oculoplastic Surgeons in your area. Another way to find the best eyelid experts in your area is to ask your primary care physician. I hope this helps.
Good luck,

Your uneven eyelids may be due to lack of eyelid fold, or ptosis - you need an eyelid specialist with Asian eye experience

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. You submitted a photo with your glasses on, and are concerned about asymmetric eyes. You want advice on a clinic in your area for your eyes. You’re also looking for information about your problem based on the photo you submitted.
I can certainly assist you with this question. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I have been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I also specialize in Asian eyelid surgery, so I’m certainly familiar with the situation in the photo you submitted. I can give you some guidance as to how to find a colleague in your area to assist you with your situation.
To begin with, your concern is about asymmetry. When I look at your photo, I noticed there is essentially one eyelid, the right eye, that looks a little lower than the left eye. Since you are wearing glasses and I can’t get quite as a good view of the pupil, but I suspect the asymmetry is related to one of two factors that affect the position and appearance of the eyelid. The first is the absence of an eyelid crease, meaning as opposed to having a defined crease, there’s just a mono fold or monolid. Not having a crease is a normal variation. It’s not unusual to have the difference between the two eyes. The reason why there’s an eyelid crease for those Asians born with creases, about 50%, is due to the connection between a muscle called the levator muscle. This muscle lifts the eyelid and sends fibers that are attached to the skin to create this crease.   
The second factor is  the levator muscle itself. The world levator is like the word elevator. It’s the muscle that lifts the eyelid when you look up and down.If this muscle is in any way stretched or not fully developed as in the case of congenital ptosis, then you have a condition called ptosis. Ptosis means the eyelid is drooping, and t the position of the eyelid relative to the pupil. This means not only addressing the eyelid crease in the absence of a crease, but also doing something to elevate the eyelid such as ptosis surgery, which we do a lot in our practice.
Just to familiarize you with the process, ptosis surgery and Asian upper eyelid surgery are performed under local anesthesia with LITE™ sedation. When we do ptosis surgery, we’ll actually sit the patient up during surgery to adjust the height, shape and contour of the eyelid.
In making a decision of who to find in your area, I suggest you look for an oculoplastic or oculofacial plastic surgeon. This is someone like myself who has training in eye surgery, followed by specialty training in plastic surgery of the eyes. What may also be a differentiating factor for you is their relative experience with Asian eyelid surgery. There is no question that there is another level of surgical decision making based on the difference of anatomy between an Asian eyelid and a non-Asian eyelid. You want to screen for doctors who have experience with Asian eyelid surgery and Asian eyelid ptosis surgery.
Begin with making those calls and doing online research for doctors in your area, and you should be able to identify a colleague who can offer this service to you, and who has that level of expertise and experience.
I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck, and thank you for your question.
This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Asymmetry of the eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your photo and question, The best to search for a doctor who is experienced with Asian eyelid.

Asymmetry of the eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An Oculoplastic surgeon in your area could assist you with diagnosis and treatment. You probably have congenital ptosis if this appearance has been present since birth. The difference in appearance of the eyes and lids is also affected by your glasses prescription - one lens may have more minus power than the other (for myopia). Below is a link that will lead you to contact information for an Oculoplastic surgeon in your area. Best wishes for your consultation and treatment.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.