Treatments for my gynecomastia? (photos)

I'm 17 and I've had gynocrmastia for about 4 years now and it's not going away, my parents said it would at some point but I dont know if it will. I am in my average weight and as you can see In the pictures I'm not that fat. It's been messing with my self esteem a whole lot and I can't take my shirt off in front of my teammates. I need a new phase in my life before high school ends. What should I do??

Gynecomastia at Age 17

Gynecomastia is a common occurrence in boys going through puberty.There are different types of #gynecomastia.  Categorized as #physiologic gynecomastia, up to 2/3 of boys going through puberty develop some form of gynecomastia. This form of gynecomastia is due to the surges in testosterone and estrogen which often lead to an imbalance of the testosterone:estrogen ratio. Puberty is a difficult time for most boys, with many changes occurring not just physically but also emotionally. Developing gynecomastia during this age can affect the self-image and confidence of a teenager. The peak incidence occurs around 14 years of age.

In up to 75% of boys who develop pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 2 years. In 90% of boys with pubertal gynecomastia, it will disappear without treatment within 3 years. So deciding who needs surgery is very important in this age group because a majority of these boys will not need any intervention.

#Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Meanwhile, #Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Gynecomastia and Liposuction

This is a very common condition and can easily be improved with plastic surgery. Looking at your pictures, you look like a great candidate for liposuction and some breast tissue removal. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Gynecomastia Scarborough, ON

You have significant gynecomastia ,and you definitely need a excision of the glands
How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Liposuction Appears to be a Good Option

Thank you for your pictures.  You will have to have the discussion about your chest with parents concerning your emotional well-being.  In my opinion, liposuction of your chest would improve the contour.

Gynecomastia at age 17

Looking at your photos it appears that you indeed have gynecomastia. If it has not gone away by now I do not think that it will without surgery. pediatricians are generally anti surgery. I do not think they are aware of how many "kids" continue with gynecomastia and how much it affects them. You should have a serious discussion with your parents and get a consultation from a surgeon who performs a lot of gynecomastia. it is not as "simple" procedure as many would like you to believe. Good luck.

Treatments for my gynecomastia?

I am sorry to hear about the physical, and possible psychosocial, problems your chest wall appearance has caused you.  You are not alone: many young man wished to have the area treated prior to their "transition" from high school to college life.

Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis.  In most cases, gynecomastia is treated with resection of the excess breast tissue; peripheral chest liposuction surgery may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.