Would it be possible to get a phalloplasty that wouldn't affect natural female genitalia? How much might it cost in Canada?

I'm a 23 year old genderqueer person designated female at birth. I am very sure that I am either bigender or transgender, though I haven't been "diagnosed", but I don't think I'd want to (or would be ready to) simply get rid of what I've grown up with. I'm interested in finding out more about phalloplasty surgery procedures and whether it'd be possible to get one without interfering with my existing genitalia as an in-between step in transitioning in the future, and how much it might cost.

Neophalloplasty: Maintain Female Genitalia

Thank you for your questions.  Yes, it is possible to perform a phalloplasty to create a neophallus (penis) without affecting the female genitalia.  There are different techniques.  One technique involves creating the penis from forearm skin, which can be disfiguring.  The other technique uses abdominal skin, which typical leaves one with a more appealing abdominal scar, less invasive, and the cost is typically much less.  

The abdominal skin technique is the one offered at our practice.  I was personally trained on this technique of neophallus creation by the creator of this technique.  The new penis would not have a urethra and would not be able to obtain an erection without the insertion of an artificial device, if one chooses.  The cost of the surgery is dependent upon several factors.  Prior to surgery, all patients require evaluation by an appropriate psychologist and receive the appropriate counseling. 

I wish you the best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist)

Cleveland Urologist