Scar Revision After Mole Removal 6 Years Ago? (photo)

I had the mole removed about six years ago. The doctor used the burning technique to remove the mole. I waited long enough for it to heal, but it never did. I have already done four fraxel treatments and as far as the results go, I do not see much of an improvement. My last treatment will be done with the CO2 laser and if that fails to work, my technician advised me to consider scar revision. I am afraid to do this procedure but at the same time, I despise the scar. Stuck between what I should do.

Doctor Answers 3

Mole removal scars - Repairing the scars with scar treatment - Los Angeles

Scar revision may be employed to reduce the appearance of this mole scar. Less invasive options may not provide realistic gain. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Mole removal

If the mole was "burned" off, it does not sound as though a specimen was sent to pathology for biopsy to rule out any atypia.  I would recommend that you see your physician for a possible scar revision.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Treatment of nonhealing area

Moles should not be removed by "burning" as this will not produce a specimen which can be evaluated for dysplasia or possible skin cancer.  Having discovered three unexpected and serious skin cancers in the past few weeks, I can assure you that this needs to take precedence.  There are also real misconceptions out there that burning won't produce a scar and nothing can be farther from the truth. Once the skin is breached full thickness, there will always be scarring.  In terms of your phrase that "it never" healed, then I have a concern about whether there is some other process going on.  If so, you shouldn't be treated by laser but, rather, with formal excision and closure.  Excision of the defect and closure by a plastic surgeon may be able to improve the scar and produce a fine line.  If your lesion was burned out, then it is not simply a matter of the surface of the scar but also it is likely to be uneven and perhaps have a hollow.  I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.