Can Scar Revision Make my Scar from Gynecomastia Surgery Look Better? (photo)

I had a gynecomastia surgery two years ago and had the gland removed and I think a minor liposuction. I am definitely not satisfied with the scar now and I was wondering if it were possible to have it fixed? I was also wondering if you think that the scar is acceptable considering that I had the surgery done by a plastic surgeon for 5500$?

Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Concerns about Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Overall, it sounds like you are pleased with the results of the gynecomastia surgery. However, I would agree with you that the placement of the scars could have been better. The fact that the scar extends beyond the “borders” of the areola makes the scar more visible, in my opinion. It may be possible to “hide” the scar better  at the junction of the areola and breast skin.

I would suggest following up with your plastic surgeon and/or second opinions to discuss scar revision options.

Scar folllowing Gynecomastia surgery

I would suggest going back to the original plastic surgeon and discussing your concerns. Its possible the scar can be improved with further surgery.  Also get a second opinion.  You do not show the other scar and do not mention wether you are otherwise pleased with the outcome.  Its difficult to render an opinion on the scar without seeing before pictures and the extent of your gynecomastia.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon