Scar Treatment for 27 Year Old, 3rd Degree Burn Scars?

I am 30 years old and was in a house fire when I was 3. I have third degree burns over my face arms and knees. I have had skin grafts but I am wondering if there is anything out there that will help me rid my scarring.

I would also like to add that my ethnicity is that of mixed white and black I'm not sure if this would make any difference to the type of treatment I would require. Many thanks for your time.

Doctor Answers 3

Third degree burn scars and scar contracture - laser to help scars

Third degree burn scars can be texturally different and cause scar contracture. I would begin with IIT, pulsed dye laser, fractional CO2, and surgically correct scar contracture. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Burn scars

While one can never make a scar disappear, scars can be improved in a number of ways.

Can you please post some photographs so that we can see whihc options may help you?

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Facial Burn Scars

In plastic surgery, we have a saying to replace "like with like" That means you should use similar skin to replace the lost or scarred skin. In your instance there may limited skin flap or grafts. One fo the better options is to consider placement of tissue expanders to increase the surface area of the donor sites.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 81 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.