How to Remove or Reduce Appearance of Scar on Forehead?

I got in a car accident 5 years ago.I now have a visable scar on my forehead that goes vertical from hairline to eyebrow. The scar is not red all the time, but sometimes it does get pretty red and puffy. I'm self conscious about this.

Doctor Answers 2

5 year old scar on forehead. Options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hard to say much without a photo. The forehead can be difficult with scars as it is on a significant amount of tension. One criteria that plastic surgeons always ask is how long the scar has been there. Scars typically look the worst at 4 months and better at 10 months. Usually we do not like to perform scar revisions on those scars less than a year of age. A good exam is necessary to determine how tight your skin is, and also what is going on with any skin depression you may have. With a revision, the old scar is typically cut out and then the edges are placed back together without undo tension. You will trade a scar for a scar, and hopefully your new scar will look better than your old scar. There are a few modalities for depressions as well. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon.                                            

Reducing the appearance of a scar on the forehead

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a number of techniques that can be utilized to improve scar formation and make it less apparent. These range from re-cutting the scar line in a Z-plasty or W-plasty, for instance, to laser treatments for diminishing the redness or the projection of the scar. Your best bet is to consult with a local plastic surgeon who can see your scar and more specifically address your concerns as well as help you figure out what treatment will give you the best results.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.