Scar and Fold on my Tummy - Tummy Tuck? Scar Revision? What Are my Options? (photo)

When I was 14 I had an emergency appendectomy (they did not know what was wrong at the time), the appendix burst. The incision got infected post operation, and was then allowed to heal without stitches. I was told as I gained weight the "fold/bum" on the belly would go away. It didn't. I have also been very lean and this didn't help either. I now want to regain the confidence that was taken away from me with this and am wondering what my options are surgery wise? Tummy Tuck? Scar Revision? Please help!

Tummy Tuck removes the scar

Unfortunately, you have not told us your age and whether you plan on future pregnancies.  If you are planning future pregnancies I would recommend simply s scar excision and closure.  This would result in a vertical scar but will be much more acceptable then what you have now.  However, if you are not planning future pregnancies I would recommend abdominoplasty.  At that time, the scarred area and all the tissue from the umbilicus down to the pubic bone would be removed and you would end up with a low transverse incision hidden by your underwear.  However, you may have a hernia present from your previous surgery.  If so, that can be repaired at the same time with mesh reinforcement.  There is a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement, which I routinely use in cases with hernias.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Two main options

Thank you for the question and photo.  You have two options to improve the appearance of your abdomen and they will both provide a great result.  The first is a wide scar revision which essentially wedges out the scar band and brings together the thicker tissue.  This will remove the scar but also reduce the round areas on either side of the scar.  The second option is a tummy tuck.  This will also remove the scar and trade for a better quality scar horizontally near your pubic bone.  It may be that you will have smaller vertical incision also of improved quality near your pubic bone in the midline if the amount of laxity is not sufficient.  The first option is a quicker recovery and less cost with a midline good quality incision.  The second is a longer recovery higher cost option with a much much shorter vertical incision, possibly no vertical incision, and a horizontal incision.  The second option will likely be a better result by some moderate degree.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scar and Fold on my Tummy - Tummy Tuck? Scar Revision? What Are my Options?

Only in person examinations can allow a better tresponse. So seek a few consults. My choice would be a full tummy tuck/scar revision 

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for an evaluation, and to discuss your concerns and expectations. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Abdominal scar

Based on you photos you would be a great candidate for tummy tuck in combination with liposuction as long as no hernia is present. Tummy tuck should be able to flatten the abdomen and leave a narrow vertical and horizontal scar on a flat abdomen. But if hernia is present or a mesh has been during the previous surgery, you may need a diiferent approach to repair. Discuss this with your PS.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate

Based on your photos, it appears that you would be a great candidate for a Tummy Tuck. The tummy tuck would remove skin from the level of your belly button to a level just below your panty line. With a tummy, your vertical scar would be removed and replaced with a horizontal scar below the panty line. During the same surgery, your rectus abdominis muscles would be tightened which would help to flatten your belly. I think you would be disappointed with your results if you only underwent surgery to revise your vertical scar.

Thanks for your question and photos. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Abdominal scar

Your best bet is to get as fit as possible then visit a plastic surgeon for a full abdominoplasty that can trade the vertical scar to a horizontal scar that you can hide under clothes.

Robin T. W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tuck or scar revision

The answer will depend on your age and plans for children. A full tummy tuck will contour the abdomen and remove most if not all of the lower vertical scar. If you are young and are looking forward to pregnancy however we would suggest a scar revision which can smooth out the contracted scar, though not remove it, and leave what is needed for babies.

Best Option to Treat Wide Vertical Scar ( Exploratory laparotomy) of Abdomen?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Tummy tuck surgery will be the operation that will provide the best results for you. This operation should be planned when you have achieved a long-term stable weight and have completed pregnancies (if plan).

Direct examination will be necessary to evaluate your situation precisely;  for example,  physical examination will be nested to determine how much of the vertical scarring ( possibly all)  can be removed with a tummy tuck operation. 

I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss options when the time is right for you. Ask to see lots of examples of their work.

Tummy Tuck? Scar Revision? What Are my Options?

I can certainly see what bothers you about your scar. I think by far the superior option would be a full tummy tuck. I cannot tell from the photos if there is enough tissue in the upper abdomen to do a "classical" abdominoplasty, but variations are there to do the best procedure possible. 

A full TT would remove the entire vertical scar that is now present, and would tighten the lower abdominal wall which may also have been weakened by the appendicitis and the post op infection. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.