Voluma or Sculptra for volume loss in 20's? (photos)

I am a 24 year old who has experienced volume loss of the face following a traumatic pregnancy which left me unable to eat by mouth, and on constant magnesium, until the birth of our child at twenty-five weeks. It's my understanding that scluptra might help rebuild my natural structures, however I am leaning towards voluma for the instant results and potential enhancement. As a doctor, what would your recommend as the best course of action given my age?

Sculptra and Other Fillers for Facial Sculpting

All of my filler patients get sculptra for long term collagen stimulation and deep structures like the bone and soft tissue anatomy that changes with aging and causes volume loss and drooping.  This is a long term plan with other fillers placed on top ("layering") to give the immediate results -- similar to voluma, radiesse, lyft etc.  I suggest going to a facial sculptor who will give you the foundation with sculptra and the immediate volume filling with other fillers on top.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Volume Replacement in your 20's

I am so sorry about your story. Given the photo and age I would definitely recommend Sculptra for you.  Sculptra gives fabulous results which are long lasting and have very natural results.  The key is to go to an experienced physician for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Voluma or Sculptra for volume loss in 20's? = Voluma could be a winner! #fb #voluma #sculptra #drmesa

There are multiple of the shelf FDA approved fillers to restore the soft tissues of the face. Voluma and Sculptra are 2 of the most popular ones.  While Voluma's effects are immediate after the injection, Sculptra requires serial injections ( minimum 2) to achieve results. 

Voluma allows a more precise immediate correction of the facial volume loss as opposed to Sculptra. However, the cost of the Sculptra treatments could be more economical that volume to patients with a certain budget. 

Voluma also has the advantage that is virtually 100% reversible with the injection of an enzyme ( hyaruronidase) while Sculptra is not reversible.

John Mesa, MD

Voluma or Sculptra for volume loss in 20's?

Hello Ohohophelia,
Thanks for your question.
Congratulations on making it through a tough situation.
Malnutrition in your situation seems to have removed some of the bone mineral around your eyes.  What I see is orbital rim retrusion and enhancement of the lower eyelid fat pads.
Your cheeks look fine to me but you seem to sag in the lid-cheek junction.
Looking at this, I would recommend neither Voluma or Sculptra.
Instead I would recommend a soft filler like Restylane or Belotero to be carefully placed in your tear troughs to camouflage the retrusion in your lower orbit.  This is usually a single injection and can last up to a year.
Another option would be expertly injected Radiesse right on the orbital rim to rebuild it over time.  This may take several injections but would last much longer because it builds long-term collagen volume to augment the area of the lower orbital rim.
A more long-term solution is an orbital rim implant to "replace" the lost bone mineral.
Voluma is FDA approved for cheek augmentation and it's use elsewhere is off-label.  Sculptra has it's own FDA approved usage but is used mainly off-label.
All injectables carry risk, so consult an expert injector.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Volume to the face

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your photos and your story.
Congratulations on your newborn. Your pregnancy sounds like a difficult situation.

Making a decision of where to restore the volume in the face depends on where you notice the most deficit.
Is there an area where you notice the change the most?
I notice the area under the eyes. I would probably recommend filler for the tear trough.
For cheeks and temples, Voluma and even Radiesse can be great long lasting solutions.

You will also want to consider if you are likely to gain back some of the weight now and wait before injecting cheeks and temples in that case.

I recommend you have an in person exam with an experiences injector to determine what filler best meets your goals for the particular location in your face and how much you are willing to wait to see the results.

Hope this helps
Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

#Voluma or Sculptra?

Dear Ohohophelia;

If you were consulting me with this question, I would want to spend much more time with you getting a more detailed history and examining you from different angles. For example, being a new mother in itself can make you look a little haggard,  especially if you are not getting enough sleep (and what young mother does?). Are you at your normal weight now?  How healthy is your diet?  

What you describe must have been extraordinarily difficult, and I would want to know how you are coping with the situation now. Perhaps the changes are reversible, even without treatment. And, if they are not, I cannot tell from your pictures whether it might be better to just use a little Beletero under the eyes than to fill the cheeks or other areas.

Yours is a unique situation that deserves a comprehensive evaluation. I hope you can find someone in your area who will do this for you,  but, at minimum, I suggest you ask the physician you consult whether some of the questions I raised are important to your decision. 

All the best to you, 
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Voluma

Voluma is an excellent alternative to currently used fillers. We use it for restoring mid face volume in the cheek that had previously been difficult to enhance.
Great Results. I would suggest you discuss your concern regarding your prior treatment with a dermatologist that has experience with Voluma.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma or Sculptra

Thank you for your question and for sharing your experience and concerns. I would recommend Sculptra over voluma for your particular situation.  I use an extensive amount of both, but favor Sculptra for lower face shaping and volumizing.  Voluma is great for midface filling and lifting.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Volume loss after pregnancy

Thank you for your question.  There is definitely volume loss that can be restored by either Voluma or Sculptra, and both are very good options.  Personally I am a fan of HA fillers for both their immediate results as well as the ability to sculpt and if necessary reverse them if the treatment is not to your liking.  I suggest you follow up with a Board Certified Dermatologist in Savannah that performs lots of aesthetic injections that you are comfortable with to be properly evaluated by them in person.  At that point they can offer you their experience as to why they would use Voluma or Sculptra in your specific case/face.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma vs. Sculptra

After reviewing your photos, I appreciate the volume loss of your mid upper cheek / tear trough region.  As you mentioned, Voluma placed in the lateral cheek (area towards the ear) will actually provide immediate support structure to the facial skin.  When appropriately placed by your board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, you will have a "lifting" of the skin with improved appearance under the eyes.  

You may also consider Sculptra in the future as a preventive measure.  The Sculptra acts as a fibroblast stimulator to produce new collagen.  Your skin texture and quality improve.  As a result, you will find the skin reflects light better and "glows". 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon