Will you treat a patient that is not yours?

I will be leaving Savannah Ga, to get a TT with MR and lipo for bbl. Once I return I have my PCP but I will like to have a cosmetic surgeon to also see. I will sign any waiver I need to sign and will also give you the information of my surgeon that will be doing my surgery.

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #BBL

Hi eve912, It's great you're doing your research on plastic surgeon credentials. In general what to look for are the following:  *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertitti symbol with a Triangle   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person.  Best of luck to you, Brian Coan, MD, FACS

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I personally would not see a patient who has gone abroad to have plastic surgery because I feel you should have your surgeon do the surgery who can follow you for any instructions and possible risks. Surgery is serious, and complications can affect your outcome for the rest of your life. You will not get a replacement body if you adversely affect yours because of trying to save money.

Problems with medical tourism

Having surgery abroad is a set-up for problems of this nature.   You need to see a plastic surgeon, but did not trust the surgeons that work diligently in your area to provide care to their patients.  The surgeon that you did choose has no ability and probably no interest in taking care of their postoperative patients because they know you are not going to fly back to where they are to seek out care.  So now what?  Bring the problems of another surgeon to the local doctor who you did not allow to treat you and expect that they will take care of the postoperative complications? Or go back where you had your surgery and require that the surgeon that did the surgery take responsibility for their work?

Post-op care

You may have trouble finding someone to do post-op care. Why would you select a surgeon to do important post-op care, if you do not think that surgeon is good enough to do your procedure.Good  luck, and hope you have a successful procedure with no problems.

When you pay for surgery, you are paying for not just the procedure but also for the pre and postop care and especially the care of complications.  I hape you have done your research on the many patients that have returned to the US with life threatening infections that took months of care including many surgeries and such large costs that the little saved by traveling was lost a hundred times over. I have personal experience with several patients for whom we had to completely redo entire procedures at much higher than normal cost because of the complexity of their complications. This is never covered by insurance. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Treatment for post op

When choosing a surgeon from out of town, you have to factor in your ability to either travel back for post operative visits and/or complications should they arise. I do not believe that it is particularly fair to expect that another surgeon should care for patients who knowingly choose to travel elsewhere for surgery. This is very different than someone who has cancer or has life threatening complications and needs immediate attention. That said, in purely elective surgery its your choice and your risk to bear. Bottom line up front, I will see patients from other practices, treat complications and perform post op care but patients are expected to cover those costs. 

Post op travel

yes I do see people who have traveled elsewhere for their surgery. however I do charge a fee for every visit. suppose you have a seroma after your tt. this is a common problem. there would be a fee for each visit plus a fee for aspiration.  please give the travel serious thought.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Best to select a surgeon who you can also see in followup

Often underestimated, the postoperative recovery period is at least as important, if not more so, than the surgery itself.  Although the procedures you are considering are relatively common, all Plastic Surgeons have preferences and variations in techniques.  Should you encounter issues during recovery, your care might be compromised due to these differences and nuances of cosmetic procedures.  A beautiful and elegant surgery can be disrupted if specific steps of recovery are not performed at the proper and ideal times.We as Plastic Surgeons, are always happy to assist ALL patients in times of need, especially in emergency situations.  Routine care, such as suture removal or drain removal, is often performed as a courtesy to other Plastic Surgeons.   However, planning to have cosmetic surgery with one surgeon, but recovering under the care of a different surgeon, may put you at higher risk of a potential problems or complications.  You should strongly consider staying near your surgeon, at least during the initial recovery period, and then plan to return for followup at specified intervals recommended by your Plastic Surgeon.

Daniel M. Calloway, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I think it is wise to search for a local board certified plastic surgeon that would be willing to see you in your postoperative course to manage any health issues that may develop after surgery.  Unfortunately you will need to do the legwork to find someone willing to do so, but below I have attached a link that will pull up local surgeons for you that you can call upon and ask.  Hope this helps.

Treat other surgeon's patients.

I have seen patients who have had surgery elsewhere as pet of their recovery. Please know however that each visit will incur an office visit fee, and any procedures that may need to be performed (drain removal, suture removal, wound debridement, seroma or hematoma aspiration, etc) will incur additional fees. 
When you select a surgeon, you should do so with the full recovery in mind.