My question is don't you think I should have been given choices as to which crown material I wanted, zirconia vs gold?

Getting choices for different types of crown materials.

The short answer to your question is yes.  But it could also be considered by some, to be a "loaded" question.  A great dentist will do their best to find out what type of patient you are before recommending treatment.   By that I mean if you have a personality that likes lots of information and wants to be part of the decision making process or if you have a personality that is not as interested in the details but more in the experience and end result.   Realize that some individuals do not have any interest in the specifics, they only want to know that they are getting good care.  Other patients like you to take a more active roll in their care and want to know what options and choices they have.  I would encourage you to tell your dentist that you are the type of person that is interested in the details.  Ask questions when it comes to your care. Your dentist will probably be happy to share these types of things with you in the future.By the way, both of those options are considered to be good choices for durability and function.  

Crown material choices

There are different materials on which we can make a crown, usually there are several options depending on which tooth it has to be done and other factors such as if you suffer from bruxism, how important is aesthetics vs. function and resistance. Depending on all of this there is usually more than one option, there is always a recommended option and then other that might work as well. Before choosing one material, the dentist should educate you about what are your options and what are the pros and cons of each. In zirconia vs. Gold, Gold is still the best material but not highly used due to cost and poor aesthetics. Zirconia is a more aesthetic option and pretty resistant, but some what opaque. Emax porcelain crowns are the most aesthetic, but sometime not resistant enough. 

Dr. Galvá

Javier Galvá, DDS, MSc
Dominican Republic Dentist